Walking Stick Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've mentioned that I've decided to start selling some canes. That means I need to have something to sell so I'm starting to build up my inventory.

Here's a quick shot of a couple I've been working on the last few days.

canes20in20progress_zpsebdcu57j.jpg

They just got their first coat of Tung oil.

The shorter one on the left is Oregon White Oak. A very beefy stick with a unique natural crook for a handle. The only problem is it was on the short side. I ended up grafting about an 8" section on the bottom. Not my favorite way of doing things but the stick was too good to not use it. I like the cane even with the joint. It really won't hurt my feelings if it doesn't sell and I end up keeping it.

The taller one is a Willow shank with a Japanese Maple handle. Someone left a box of their trimmings in the free wood box at our local hardware store. I've been hanging on to them for a couple years now. Looks like I finally found a good use for at least one piece anyway.

Right now my plan is to make more canes similar to the willow one. I don't see a lot of people making anything similar here in the States. Maybe there's a good reason for it but I'm hoping people will like them.

One issue I have is I don't have very many cured shanks. I didn't collect many last year because I didn't plan to sell any then. I think I have enough for a good trial run though. I'll be getting a lot more this winter.

I'm leaving the canes long until they sell. I'll cut them to length and fit the bottoms on then.

Sorry for the bad picture. I couldn't take them outside because the finish is still wet and it's raining out. I'm also going to have to get better at taking good pictures.

Rodney

·
Registered
3,170 Posts
you can never have enough shanks. Trouble is you never think it would grab your interest till you start doing them

then you find the stickmaking takes odd turns as I have incorporated wildlife interest into the hobby

but however it takes you have fun

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm aiming for around 50 shanks this year. More if I can get them. I'm also trying to be more selective about what I take home.

I'll be selling on Etsy. I'm hoping to sell one every 3 weeks or so. From what I've seen that's a fairly typical number for sales. Not a lot of money maybe, but it's still more than I'm making now. It will at least buy sandpaper, glue and varnish so I can keep making more.

Rodney

·
Registered
480 Posts
Nice couple! I hear ya about the pictures, I can't seem to take a good one to save my life! Although yours look a heck of a lot better than mine!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts