Walking Stick Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Super Moderator
966 Posts
Weather is still too cold for making multi-piece sticks so I thought I'd do some one piece root sticks. The first two are ash and the third is moose maple. The ash with the dark handle had a root which looped back into itself and I wanted to keep it as a feature if possible. Turns out, it fits perfectly into the hollow of my palm when gripped left handed. The second ash stick is very comfy reverse gripped in my right hand. (Got some before pics of that one) The moose maple has a divot at the end which is a good place to rest a finger.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
966 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys. When I had finished the initial bark peeling from the second ash stick it kind of looked like a giraffe to me. I used a carving knife so it was darker and lighter in patches, but smoothed out some in sanding.

·
Super Moderator
966 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It is the one good thing about the crappy soil here. There's a thin layer of topsoil then a thick layer of hard blue clay. The trees put out a ton of roots looking for a crack in the clay and get fairly thick before they find one. Makes for some great handles. And a lot of exposed roots on the bigger trees. Collected 40-50 of them the last year or so.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.