Walking Stick Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3,170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Thers some great carvings on line if anyone interestedtry living carved trees Pretty amazing carvers.Tree carving art is knownas arborglphs its based on tree carving by the basque and irish sheep herders based in Oregon

·
Registered
969 Posts
I did look up carving live trees. At first I was surprised that the tree would survive. But it appears that most of the carvings are made in already exposed heartwood, with the bark healed around it, and then the carving sealed. Over all, the examples I found were quite good.

·
Registered
3,170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Some pretty amazing stuff out there .

Waiting for confirmation for the oppurtunity to do some tree carving myself ,Along a 2-3 mile trail in a wood, and get paid for doing it . but you know how long these things take for permission

·
Registered
23 Posts
I have a friend who does them. He tried after retirement and he is great. I might have to call him. I've not seen him in several years.

·
Registered
3,170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Video is pretty good would have liked to more of his work will try the link thanks

·
Registered
2,814 Posts
Those are great photos cobalt. Thanks for sharing.

·
Registered
3,170 Posts
well i hope your lighthouse isnt quite so tall ,but nice fun job like it .You have got a good image for the fishermans face and the whols shank comes to gether well pity you didnt fit a real flashing light in it or the horn when someone approached lol

Those are great photos cobalt. Thanks for sharing.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Trees are pretty hardy. As long as you don't remove too much of the cambium layers which transport the nutrients from the roots, or the roots themselves AND protect the carved area from getting any diseases until it properly heals, you can carve away. That's why when you see a broken tree with just a part of it still intact, you can see it start sending up new growth.

·
Registered
3,170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I belive they are and i know you can use a growth hormone on them it will help to seal the wood naturaly althought it wont replce the bark

·
Registered
419 Posts
Petroleum jelly works too. I use spray paint when I prune...wouldn't for a carving. basically anything that will prevent entry to the wounds

1 - 13 of 13 Posts