Walking Stick Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've made and sold a few market sticks. I finally decided to make one for myself.
Here it is.
Plant Wood Terrestrial plant Grass Natural landscape Plant Nature Botany Wood Vegetation Plant Vegetation Natural landscape Terrestrial plant Groundcover Plant Leaf Natural environment People in nature Tree Natural environment Plant Vegetation Terrestrial plant Natural landscape
The handle I mentioned here before. It's white oak with a big knot in the top of the handle. It looks nice and adds a lot of character but if the handle is going to break, it will break there.
The shank is beaked hazel with a lot of grooves in it that look like old healed over wounds. I decided to make a feature of them and cut the top of the shank in the middle of a bunch of them then carved the spacer and handle to match. The spacer is holly.
I wouldn't be comfortable selling the cane with that knot but for my use it's fine and I like it.
I still have to cut it to length and fit the tip. I'm not in any rush.
Rodney

Attachments

·
Registered
497 Posts
Just excellent! You did a great job of matching the scars on the shank to the collar. The bug marks and the knots give it so much character.

·
Registered
2,086 Posts
Very well done! :thumbsu: :thumbsu: I like the look of the knot in the handle and with it being oak I doubt it will be an issue with breakage.

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys. I'm starting another oak handled market stick. The grain is a lot straighter on that one and no knots.

·
Registered
715 Posts
Like LilysDad said, great work on the collar. The way you textured it makes it look like the same piece of wood when it obviously isn't. Flows nicely from shank to spacer to handle.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts