Walking Stick Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I completed this a few days ago. It's a new style for me and it should be reaching it's recipient today.
Walnut with ivory micarta and curly maple end caps. The leather is natural veg tanned cow hide. A pain to wrap around curved surfaces but it will age well. This one took me forever to complete. Everything that could go wrong did. Sometimes a few times.
Plant Botany Cross Terrestrial plant Vegetation
Botany Grass Terrestrial plant Wood Groundcover
Plant Terrestrial plant Wood Grass Fawn
Plant Botany Cross Terrestrial plant Grass

·
Administrator
152 Posts
Rodney, when you first said "crutch" I couldn't wrap my head around your project until you posted the photos.
wow - I am IMPRESSED to say the least !! that took a lot of planning to get it to work as it should. Well Done !!
Plant Human body Wood Terrestrial plant Garden tool

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well, my head is back to my normal size. The joint between the cuff support and the upright came apart in shipping. Looks like the epoxy failed for some reason. Too cold, bad batch, other? I'm not sure the reason it failed but the crutch is coming back for repairs.
The only good thing is my customer is being really great about it.

·
Super Moderator
964 Posts
Well that sucks, buddy. Wouldn't be surprised if it was the cold, like you were thinking. If it was going to happen at all, I suppose it's better to have happened during shipping rather than during use. Maybe a couple of pins through the joint would help.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Rodney said:
The joint between the cuff support and the upright came apart in shipping.
This is why I asked originally how it was mounted. A lot of pressure is going to be applied to that at times. Another branch would have been ideal. I wonder if there is enough wood to put a small threaded rod in there along with epoxy?

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I'll post a few when it gets here. It is going to get doweled too. It's just odd to me. You would think a fault like that would show up while you're shaping and sanding the piece. I'm not overly gentle until I'm putting the finish on.

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I'm certain it received some sort of rough handling. That just brought the problem out in the open though. The wood looks undamaged. The joint just failed. If the joint was good, the wood would have been broken.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.