Walking Stick Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

I post here quite infrequently, but it is still the only place on the internet I've found with a community of makers who specialize in all things walking stick. Some of you may recall that I've had a lifelong disability and use a cane to walk.

Lately, I've wanted to enhance the diameter of some of my cane handles to better grip them as I have large palms. Some people on disability forums of which I am a part suggested maybe rubber like one might use for weight or bike grips. I thought this might be a good idea since you can get some of those grips that already have inner diameters that are good for canes.

I picked up a couple of these, but with the way the standard crook handle bends, the rubber cannot really grip the top part of the cane. I would need to bend or otherwise work the rubber so that it wraps around part of the top of the crook where I usually grab and some of the part where the crook starts to point down, if that makes sense. I haven't tried just bending it with brute force yet, and I wanted to see if anyone here had any smarter suggestions than my brain can come up with. I'd like to be handier, but I have to admit I'm not. Other internet searches haven't yielded much.

Thanks for reading, everyone.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
This sort of thing?

Hi dww2,

Thanks for your reply. Yes, it would be just like this. I was hoping to make it from rubber rather than foam, but I don't know much about working with rubber. Perhaps it isn't really possible to turn something like a bike or barbell grip (which is what I'd purchased initially) into the proper shape to go over a crook. I had assumed it would be slightly less rigid than it was when I got it. Perhaps I should try out the foam.

I've used canes with those handles in the past, I just thought I'd like to try out the texture of rubber this time. I'd actually the appreciate the relative rigidity and "robustness" of the rubber, if that makes any sense. But the straight handles/grips appear to be possibly too rigid to bend into the crook shape. Although, to be fair, I haven't tried using any tools or machines to work with it. These are the kind of grips that would just wrap around the handle and have an inner diameter that already matches the cane handle itself. On a cane that has a straight out derby style handle or some of the root canes posted here, they would already work well, if that makes sense.

·
Super Moderator
966 Posts
They make something for dipping tool handles in which coats them in rubber. I wonder if it would work to just keep dipping it in until you reach the desired diameter. Maybe even something like Flex Seal.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
They make something for dipping tool handles in which coats them in rubber. I wonder if it would work to just keep dipping it in until you reach the desired diameter. Maybe even something like Flex Seal.
Thanks very much; I hadn't heard of something like this at all and will definitely check it out.

·
Registered
9 Posts
i broke my cane hand wrist a couple years ago.
while the doc was nice enough to put my cane dent in the cast, i couldn't grip it tight enough.
his kids played hockey, he suggested hockey stick tape.
it worked very well.
i have since broke 3 wrists and both hands are cane hands now.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts