Walking Stick Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Two new canes. Both have alder handles and shanks. I finished the Cardigan style one a few weeks ago but don't think I've posted it here (my apologies if I already did). The saw handled cane I finished yesterday or the day before.
Red alder is harvested commercially here. I think it's main use is as secondary wood in furniture. It's a little softer and not quite as nice as maple for the most part. It's not as highly regarded by wood turners as maple but occasionally you can find a nice piece.
First up is the cardigan.
Plant Natural landscape People in nature Grass Wood Plant Nature People in nature Botany Vegetation Grass Wood Garden tool Groundcover Shrub

The second one started out as a saw handled style cane. I exaggerated the shape a little and I decided to hollow out the back a bit with the intent of adding more interest. I didn't want just a flat surface. I wanted to add a little depth.

I gave both canes simple holly spacers. I wanted the focus to be the wood in the handles. I also like the contrast between the saplings the hanks are made from and the wood of a mature tree.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,086 Posts
Nicely done! How's that saw handle to walk with? Is it comfortable?

·
Registered
497 Posts
Nice! The saw handle is very interesting. Is the white spots on the handles the beginning of spalting?

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I haven't made one for myself yet. It should be about the same as a Derby or Fritz. Yes, the white spots are spalting.
I got lucky with this piece. Good color but not punky yet.

·
Registered
715 Posts
Great work, Rodney. Love the saw handled one in particular; the shape makes me think of speed, like a whitetail bounding across a field.

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm sure there are exceptions but in my experience canes and speed don't necessarily go together. :) The saw handle has a more plant like quality to me. I think with a little tweaking and better carving it could be a flower bud or seed pod of some sort.

·
Registered
715 Posts
Actually, I was thinking about the shape afterwards and it occurred to me that it was quite reminiscent of an acanthus leaf carving I'd seen somewhere. This piece had a bit more curl on the lower half of the handle end, maybe, but very similar.

One speed exception I'm aware of: my Dad goes to nearby Colby College most mornings to use their walking track. Has been for years. One time about 10 years ago he took my niece with him. I was over at the house when they got back and Jamie (my niece) told us about an apparently very elderly lady who used two canes when she walked but made good speed with them. I guess she lapped Dad and Jamie a few times while they were there.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts