Walking Stick Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New here. Recent back fusion surgery was cause for need for a cane. Being Irish decent, I opted for Shillelagh walking sticks. Now with 2 these opened my eyes to what Blackthorn Shillelaghs are all about. I want to thank the Irish Shillelagh makers for what they do as getting the material to produce these takes iron will and a ton of motivation!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hello valky307. Thank you for the good wishes with back fusion. Suffered 16 years near to the day with it, got so bad I started collapsing from full body spasms. Had to wait 15 months to get surgery as a heart attack put me out in Sept last year. Am 73 days post op, a long road ahead. So far, so good.

Making Blackthorn Shillelagh walking sticks in Hawaii is not possible, there is no blackthorn growing here. There is ironwood but from my previous experience with iron wood the material is difficult to work with as it really is darn near iron. With the issues I face, I use my fingers to order completed Shillelagh walking sticks. So making them is beyond my scope.

I've entertained making lomilomi sticks however, these are used for shiatsu type self massage and are wonderful tools to help tight and sore muscles release. Lomilomi sticks are made best when using guava wood as there is some flexing with the wood. Am going to attempt to make a couple of them after I heal as hiking into the mountains at this point is not possible. It will be at least a year before I'd be able to attempt that.

·
Super Moderator
973 Posts
Welcome aboard Rich! There have been a few discussions over the years about shillelaghs which you might find interesting (if you haven't already found them) Use the "Search community" feature at the top of the page.
Wishing you a speedy recovery!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks dww2, yes, I looked briefly earlier but have not had time to read what I found. Thank you for your good wishes, but "speedy" at 72 years old only applies to getting to the bathroom. Seems like everything else is...S..L..O..W!

·
Super Moderator
973 Posts
I have a similar problem; it's called "no-longer-a-spring-chicken-itis." I'm only 56 but it seems like it takes forever to recover from injuries which, 20-30 years ago, I would have bounced right back from. Oh well...as long as we're this side of the grass, we can't complain too much I guess.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts