Walking Stick Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Looking good! How does the curve in the handle affect using either hammer or pick end of the head? I know a bunch of the new hammers out have started to have a bit of a curve to them to ensure the hammer face is actually parallel to the surface as you nail.

Yeah, looks like you could take on a moderate sized dragon with it.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Looks like one tough dude! Very nice. When you wrapped the copper, how did you deal with the ends? Did you stick the ends in holes or something else? Looks nice.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Keep an eye peeled in your antique malls, flea markets and garage sales.

A possible alternative to a geologist pick is a masonry hammer. I have a cousin who's a geologist, and my late father-in-law was a geological engineer and prospector for many years, and both of them like to have masonry hammers as well as picks. Different uses, so I hear, and much more common to find used. (and thus cheap)

·
Registered
131 Posts
hired a 70 year old stone mason some 20 years ago. He worked alone because the young ones couldn't keep up. He built a stone mailbox and did a cinder block wall where a waterfall would be built. I helped him in order to learn from him. Then I bought a mason's hammer like his and added stone veneer to the cinder block wall for a huge waterfall at the end of our pool.

Whenever I went on a geologic field trip to look at really hard rock, limestone or igneous rock, I'd take that mason's hammer. The edges are not rounded like a sledge, and it will really break rock - that's what it's designed to do. The opposite side is more or less like a big fat chisel.

WEAR EYE PROTECTION! I've had chips draw blood on my face a number of times.
Yeah, my late father-in-law prospected for asbestos and uranium, but mostly for iron ore. He discovered one of the largest deposits up in Iron River, MI and the largest one at Pilot Knob in Missouri back in 1965. We ended up with some of his field equipment including his old pick and his old masonry hammer, along with his Lake Superior model Gurley dip needle and solid copper gold panning pan. Old George was quite a character. He's the one on the left in this picture. https://flic.kr/p/aieY9Z As a geologist you may appreciate the significance of him receiving the Robert Peele Award in 1965.

·
Registered
131 Posts
I get "looks" and I'm only walking with a plain ash stick. I can just imagine if I had a tomahawk head on it. Maybe I should just add the raccoon skull and really get "looks". I'm enhancing their workout by providing extra incentive to "Run! Run faster!" :rock:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.