Walking Stick Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Administrator
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had a nice collection of hiking stick medallions on a stick and when the stick started to rot away in storage, I removed the metal medallions and stored them away. well, somewhere along the line of moving half a dozen times, some of them have gotten lost. so now, with a rekindled interest in hiking sticks, I would like to replace the missing ones but can not find them on the internet. so I was wondering if we have any members here from the UK and EU area that collects them.
Wood Drink Alcoholic beverage Tree Font

·
Administrator
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Jim - when I was on the Navy ships, I collected the cloth jacket patches from most of my world traveling adventures and only have a few of them left too. but, I'm not going to replace those - I would rather put the money into the medallions. they will last for generations to come. my favorites are from the Blue Ridge, Appalachian Trail and Great Smokies trips.
you just appreciate the mountains a lot more when you are raised in the Flat Lands. I have most of those medallions.
now, it is the ones from foreign countries that are a bit more difficult to come by.

·
Administrator
Retired
203 Posts
That is pretty cool, I will be on the look of for some of them, Judy and I go up to the Smokies three or four times a year just to ride around and pick up a donut. lol Now is a good time to go if you like Christmas lights, they have quite a show there most years. If I find some of the metal ones, I will let you know.

I saved several of the cloth patches from my Navy days but they have all gone by the way side. Most of mine were from air craft squads and a couple of the Rosie.

·
Administrator
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks for the link, Randy. I've purchased quite a few from them already (and Ebay, Etsy and Amazon too).
what started this "quest" was when I was stationed in Italy with the Navy, I had just bought a new 1974 Fiat station wagon and the wife and I along with another young couple saved up our money and took a road trip to Munich, Germany. while passing through Austria, we stopped at a few rest areas that had a very heavy influence of "Bavarian Hikers". and yes, they all pretty much looked like the typical mountain hikers you see photos of. and most of them had ordinary "sticks" that were adorned with the metal tags from their adventures. everything had medallions: hiking & walking canes, Bavarian hats, even their dog collars had tags. so, when we stopped for breaks, I was collecting the cloth jacket patches and saw the metal medallions for sale too. that is where my collection started. most of the cloth patches have either faded away or got eaten by bugs while in storage. a lot of the metal medallions got lost during several moves around the country.
so now, with this new hiking stick I have, I want to "adorn" it with mementos from my travels for the grandkids. for the ones I can't find, I'll burn it in the stick with my new wood burner. I also have coins from the areas I need, I can drill two mounting holes then bend the coin to conform to the shape of the stick. I don't want to use vinyl decals, they will soon just go away. - - - - so, the quest is on for the metal metal medallions. (photos for example only).
Musical instrument Bicycle fork Plant Font Wood

·
Administrator
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
that's an excellent idea, Randy !!
with each medallion you buy off the internet, you get three very thin, skinny and LONG nails. why so long, I have no idea. I would clip the nails in half, they will hold just as good. I have a jar full of brass round-head emblem nails that I will be using that are twice as thick. but, they too will have to be clipped in half. (I just like brass). if you don't have many to do, small brass wood screws would look nice too.

·
Administrator
Retired
203 Posts
Oh yeah, I want some of those. For some reason I thought they were kinda inset into the cain/hiker. When I get some, that is what I want to do. Not necessarily like an inlay, but a little deeper with the edges of the hole chamfered. That is what I want to try. Thanks for the idea John, I hadn't heard of the medallions until you said something about them.

I really like the idea of the service medallions.

·
Registered
3,070 Posts
that's an excellent idea, Randy !!
with each medallion you buy off the internet, you get three very thin, skinny and LONG nails. why so long, I have no idea. I would clip the nails in half, they will hold just as good. I
I do the same thing John. I put a to part epoxy on the back hold it in place then put in the nails.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.