Walking Stick Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Super Moderator
975 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had an apple blank sitting around for a while. Decided to try another Cardigan. The shank had some bends in it, but I got most of them out with the hot air gun. It has a couple of scrapes from rubbing against another branch and partially healing over.
Wood Natural material Gas Tints and shades Metal
Wood Rectangle Natural material Wood stain Hardwood
Dog Shelf Wood Bookcase Floor
Bookcase Shelf Shelving Book Publication
Furniture Bookcase Shelf Wood Cabinetry

·
Super Moderator
975 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Got some finish on it yesterday. Some really nice color in the handle. A bit of sanding and another coat tomorrow.
Bookcase Furniture Shelf Wood Publication
Furniture Bookcase Shelf Cabinetry Book
Bookcase Furniture Shelf Cabinetry Book

·
Super Moderator
975 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks Rodney. I have access to about 130 acres of woodland to harvest from between family land and my neighbor. (They're putting in a solar farm and said I could help myself before it is all clear cut.) Got a couple more potential one piece Cardigans in yellow birch about ready for working. Did one in yellow birch a while ago and another in walnut.

LOL Randy. As it happens, I've been transplanting small crab apple saplings into what used to be my pumpkin patch to train them into stick blanks.

·
Administrator
Retired
202 Posts
I haven't been here but a short while and already I am learning new things. I would have never thought to look for wood to make a stick like DW's. That is just too cool and a great looking walking stick.

·
Super Moderator
975 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks, Jim. The pattern is more or less from one of the books Randy recommended the other day, Stickmaking A Complete Course by Andrew Jones and Clive George. I had to adjust it a bit for the size of the blank and a couple of cracks, but I'm pretty pleased with it. I did a couple of the same style in yellow birch and walnut a while ago.
Wood Plant Natural material Gas Artifact
Wood Plant Fawn Natural material Material property

·
Administrator
Retired
202 Posts
The way you made those is a way I never thought of, and the long shaft being a limb coming off the main tree, it is going to be really strong. I really do like the second one, it is really nice. The first one is great looking, but I like the second one best. Both are truly great sticks. I appreciate you posting the sticks and how you made them. You have shown me a way to broaden my search for new sticks. Thanks DW, I love it.

·
Super Moderator
975 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Credit goes to the generations of UK stick makers for the idea. Actually, some credit should also go to the makers who frequented the forum when I joined. (Looking at you, Rodney!) They inspired me to try new things.

·
Registered
3,092 Posts
The way you made those is a way I never thought of, and the long shaft being a limb coming off the main tree, it is going to be really strong. I really do like the second one, it is really nice. The first one is great looking, but I like the second one best. Both are truly great sticks. I appreciate you posting the sticks and how you made them. You have shown me a way to broaden my search for new sticks. Thanks DW, I love it.
This is one way to do natural cardigan handle. This and other ideas are in the book dww2 mentioned

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
975 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Very true, Randy. It's a great book. Can't tell you how many times I thumbed through it over the years saying "I want to try that."

·
Registered
3,092 Posts
Very true, Randy. It's a great book. Can't tell you how many times I thumbed through it over the years saying "I want to try that."
I agree dww2, if I could have just one book I would want that one. While it is similar " Stickmaking, the complete Guide" by Charlie Walker would be my second one. It is a bit more updated and has information on tools and jigs you do not get in Walkingsticks Complete Course.

·
Super Moderator
975 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Nice! I'll have to look for that one. I have Walker's "Traditional Stickmaking" from 2016. I'm thinking it might have much of the same info.
Another good one to look for is "Walking and Working Sticks" by Theo Fossel.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.