Walking Stick Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think I may have posted this one in a group, but maybe not of a closeup. Carved the Arrowhead with carving knives, gouges, and Dremel on Crepe Myrtle stick. Stained with a dark mahogany. I also inlaid a stone similar to turquoise into the heel.

Attachments

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's a piece of Crepe Myrtle. I tinted it with a dab of blue acrylic mixed with a good deal of water.... Just to front the wood a bit. Then resanded lightly before applying finish.

·
Registered
969 Posts
I commented on the arrowhead stick before, but in close up, it looks even better. Looks good, and I would suppose that it adds just enough texture to the handle area to improve the grip.

Crepe Myrtle looks like a nice wood for stick making. Its been mentioned on the forum before.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The Crepe Myrtle is light yet pretty strong, and easy to carve on. And it will really shine if you go thru the grits of sandpaper, and finish by sanding with a brown paper bag... Gets real glossy.

Reactions: Steve R.

·
Registered
2,849 Posts
Nice looking. cane. I will have to try some Crepe Myrtle. There is a lot of it down here.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Cobalt, my home is in rural South Arkansas. Our main industry in this rather depressed area of the state.... Is timber. I am blessed with a wide variety of differing woods. This Crepe Myrtle is a decorative flowering "tree". I guess you could call it a tree. We plant it along streets and driveways as a flowering plant. It will bloom in clusters for most of our summer months. Don't be so green with envy.... My dream trip is to visit the British Isles.... All of them.

I've got access to 110 acres of family owned timber land, and access to more land through several good friends. Come over and visit and I'll take you out and let you cut as much as the plane will let you carry back!

And btw, you do some great carvings and make some very nice sticks!

Reactions: cobalt

·
Registered
3,170 Posts
Its on my bucket list to vist the U.S.A.

But my family live in france and the netherlands so most trips are out there apartt from th usual cruise around the med whcih is being organised

But i do wish to see yellowstone park the rockys and the grand cannon.i also want to see the real america as well not just tourist attractions .I have found some amazing places in france very rural but amazing countryside with great little cafes and such a relaxed way of life But your country is different so vast and to much to see and find visting out of the way places great

As for bringing anything into the country our agricutual import laws like yours are very strict and would need a license to bring them back

·
Registered
969 Posts
Its on my bucket list to vist the U.S.A.

But my family live in france and the netherlands so most trips are out there apartt from th usual cruise around the med whcih is being organised

But i do wish to see yellowstone park the rockys and the grand cannon.i also want to see the real america as well not just tourist attractions .I have found some amazing places in france very rural but amazing countryside with great little cafes and such a relaxed way of life But your country is different so vast and to much to see and find visting out of the way places great

As for bringing anything into the country our agricutual import laws like yours are very strict and would need a license to bring them back
Anyplace I've been in the Rockies has been spectacular. I enjoyed New Mexico the most because the mountains are only a few hours by car from the desert. Which is not to say that there aren't many fine places to visit. But where I live, the land is mostly flat, and devoted to agriculture. Getting into mountains high enough that breathing is difficult at first is a huge change of scene.

One of the things that happened in the last few years when I was working at an art museum was that we could no longer build our own crates for loans going out of the country. There is a wide spread international treaty forbidding moving any wood that has not been heat and temperature treated to sterilize it. And, any constructions must take place in a workshop that has regular gov't inspections to limit accidental cross contamination between treated lumber and untreated. Considering that chestnuts are all but extinct, and most elms are gone due to "invasive species," and ash may soon follow, I heartily agree with the restrictions.

·
Registered
3,170 Posts
Totally agree we are also losing both plants and wildlife to imported species .We even have wallybies living in the wild now.lucky the dont present much problem

Yes would love to see the rockies ,yellowstone park and the deserst .Have vistited egypt and been in the desert there but the americam desert is so different from what i have seen .america is fortunate enought to provide a wide range of coutry side which most countrys cant offer .However there is always amazing things to see and vist in most countrys, and admit i love europe specially the italian ,frenchand spanish life style so laid back and family friendly

I wouldnt like to say what is my favourite place is but the view s in england are pretty amazing with the dales and the moors even the fens offer so much .

1 - 11 of 11 Posts