Walking Stick Forum banner
1 - 20 of 82 Posts

·
Registered
3,170 Posts
back into the workshop at long last with several projects to get on with

Rain most of the day today temp back down to where it should be for the time of year.so nothing to do for a change

a few of the projects to get on with , the elephant changed the pencil and ink drawings daughter asked me to change the trunk shape, a griffin and a couple of mallards and a peregrine falcon to get on with. also a dodo to do for myself just thought it would be a bit of fun.

I still have to get deer antler for the elephant tusks

Vertebrate Jaw Organism Mammal Style Wood Ingredient Art Font Carving Wood Cookie cutter Font Art Plywood Wood Art Trunk Hardwood Font Wood Bird Art Wood stain Hardwood Wood Art Font Tree Working animal

Attachments

·
Registered
2,854 Posts
Wow. You have have quite a group ready to go cobalt. looks like fun!!

·
Registered
3,170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Anyone can visualize the drawings i just like doing them . but theres load of images you can down load and use them for templates.

To carve a duck its so easy once you have a image .

The chisels are faithful ones but generally I use axminster tools .Most of the faithful ones are to big . I only use about 4 of them I bought a smaller set of axminster .The best set I got of ebay for a few pounds .

I use the chisels' for getting in the round and shaping and use the flexi tool for texturing and finishing.

·
Registered
3,170 Posts
I am not keen on the faithful chisels axminster seems okay to me but i do have a few cheap chisels as well most of them are fine I havnt a problem with them its just a case of sharpening them when they need it

I did buy a set of marples for 9£ its just a case of sharpening them when they need it which are good detail chisels. I don't need anymore they will do.

the cheap ones have had so much use I need to replace the handles which will cost me more than the chisels worth .

But most of its in the mind its a case of a bad workman blames his tools

I couldn't do however without the flexi tool and only purchased four of them for just over 20£ from aldi when they had them reduced it handy for detail and sanding it does fuzz the lime wood so I try to do as little sanding as possible

·
Registered
3,170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I enjoy carving waterfowl its probably the easist thing to carve there is. Its possible to carve a mallard in a couple of hours which is how I taught myself to carve .which made carving any bird life easier but still a long way to go

·
Registered
3,170 Posts
Just had about 3/4 hour in the workshop trying to get the mallard in the round . most of the work done with a axminster 3/4 inch gouge, saw and shinto saw plane. should have had it complete but other things get in the way eating up spare time

just thought would post what little I got done

Wood Hand tool Scratch awl Hardwood Antique tool Hand tool Wood Tool Burin Hardwood Wood Art Sculpture Flooring Artifact

Attachments

·
Registered
3,170 Posts
have plenty to go at dont seem to get the time i want .Seems like there's a conspiracy going on every time I get into the workshop something crops up when I just get started.

so not much done again but getting the basics there. To keep the duck as near as possible to realism I use the calliper's to measure proportions like length of beak the width of the head overall length distance of the eyes .It makes more work but helps to keep proportion

so to date here I am

Wood Fawn Musical instrument Hardwood Landscape Automotive tire Wood Sculpture Art Fender

Attachments

·
Registered
2,854 Posts
Looking good cobalt. I use callipers my on almost every thing I carver. Wonderful tool for keeping things inline and in proportion.

·
Registered
3,170 Posts
tried a slightly different approach using the saw more to cut the shape of the top of the ducks head ,seems to work okay saves some time with the chisels. think it helps to get the balance of the head right

It came from a wild life carving on face book

attaching buffalo horn collars to the threaded bar

Wood Tints and shades Formation Brick Bedrock Wood Cuisine Brick Ingredient Art Hand tool Wood Tool Axe Natural material

Attachments

·
Registered
2,854 Posts
Good looking shape to the duck head. I used a cooping saw to shape and remove bulk waste before I got a band saw. I still use the copping saw for small projects.

·
Registered
3,170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
basics completed on the brace of mallards need to get the shanks sorted to get the transition from topper to shank sorted ,then add texturing and and get the finish sorted. considering trying the stain finish when near complete

started to get the griifin in the round long way to go hoping to to give the face a ukibori finish to texture the face

Wood Fawn Bird Beak Terrestrial animal Wood Artifact Art Creative arts Natural material

Attachments

·
Registered
3,170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
There for christmas pressys . Except the dodo I thought I would do a new topper for my self as I found some more reference for them from some artist.

and there different from the run of the mill stuff

·
Registered
3,170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Marrying the topper to the shank., need to sort out the transition as near as possible before I start adding detail , so then I can attach the topper to the shank

Attached threaded bar with a buffalo horn collar and straightened the sticks . shaping both the topper and the collar to fit as very few shanks are perfectly round

had to get the shanks straightened using the heat gun Wood Natural material Tool Wood stain Automotive wheel system

final shaping of topper underway trying to get the heads to flow into the collar and shank still a bit of work to do Wood Sculpture Art Claw hammer Bone

Attachments

·
Registered
2,854 Posts
I like the straightening Jig.Cobalt. simple and effective. Look forward to seeing the finished sticks.

1 - 20 of 82 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.