Walking Stick Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,849 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was cleaning off some thin bark using a large detail blade from Deepwoods Ventures. Great knife. There were a number of hard knobs from old branches on the stick. I was hurrying and was to lazy to wait to file or power sand these knobs down. The tip of the cutting edge got caught under one of these knobs and now I have a regrind job changing the shape of a good knife. And I have been carving along enough to know better!!!!!

Attachments

·
Registered
2,086 Posts
I had just gotten into carving and had ordered a new detail knife. 1st carving out of the box jammed it into a corner and gave it a twist. You know the rest. Now a shorter stiffer detail knife.

·
Registered
969 Posts
I looked up Deepwoods knives. Chipping such a nice tool must have been irksome. When I started working on sticks steadily I snapped the tip off an inexpensive stanley folding pocket knife. I'd been using the original blade for at least 15 years, and when I found replacements were no longer made I was doubly PO'd. Ended up getting my first Mora knife as a replacement. Haven't chipped any of my new blades, but have cringed a few times when I've dropped them on the concrete floor of my work space.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts