Walking Stick Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Administrator
Retired
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bringing back an older thread about making canes from stair balusters. Being an old stair builder I have a few somewhere around here. I like the suggestion of using them for canes. I will have to dig a few out and see what I can do with them.

Also if some of you are looking for a few of them, go to a trim supply locally, they have every kind you can think of.

Thanks Randy for the idea. Did you round the square part?

·
Registered
3,072 Posts
Bringing back an older thread about making canes from stair balusters. Being an old stair builder I have a few somewhere around here. I like the suggestion of using them for canes. I will have to dig a few out and see what I can do with them.

Also if some of you are looking for a few of them, go to a trim supply locally, they have every kind you can think of.

Thanks Randy for the idea. Did you round the square part?
Yes jim , I rounded the top carving a face ahd leaves. I am working on a second one now. It is oak. and I am carving Dogwood flowers in the rounded top. Both cam out of an old home that was being remodeled.
Plant Window Tree Wood Sculpture
Wood Automotive tire Musical instrument Gas Automotive wheel system

·
Administrator
Retired
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I am serious Randy, I would have never dreamed that a stair baluster could ever make a walking cane that looked that great, that is absolutely beautiful. Now I have really got to dig some of the left over balusters out and give them a shot. Thanks for sharing.

·
Registered
200 Posts
I use the stairs holding on to the baluster (banister in English) every day and have never considered it for any other use.
A bit bulky originally for canes but I see the possibilities with some shaping! I think mine is red oak and don't know much about it.

·
Registered
3,072 Posts
I use the stairs holding on to the baluster (banister in English) every day and have never considered it for any other use.
A bit bulky originally for canes but I see the possibilities with some shaping! I think mine is red oak and don't know much about it.
The cane is a bit bulky at the top 1/2 but with the taper It is not all that heavey. It is mostly a conversation piece. The balusters are what we call the pillars or post holding up the hand rail or banester over here. I have some thiner ones a freind gave me but I like a heaver or thicker shank. A minimum of 25 mm or 1 inch. I just feel that is the safer for most users. Thats is just my preference. Some use as small as 1/2 inch.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.