Walking Stick Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,126 Posts
I am interested in making walking canes and I'm glad I found this forum. I've seen some truly awesome work here. As a newcomer I have limited experience in wood working and tools. Some personal background: age 64, retired, married, Vietnam veteran, would love to build a decent cane. Not having a lathe can I use a round spokeshave to transform a 1" x 1" x 35" square oak blank into a cane shaft? I have many questions and I appreciate and thank all who will take the time to share their knowledge.
Welcome aboard airborne. I too served in Vietnam. I was with 1st ANGLICO, Sub Unit 1, Det. 5, detached to the Korean Marine Corps Blue Dragon Brigade. In October 1967 I was in the mountains in far western Binh Son province, and in December the entire brigade moved farther north in I-Corps to a new TAOR around Hoi An. We had just settled in when the 1968 Tet offensive began.

As you know, we won the war that year, militarily. But our leadership had already decided to lose. Welcome home Bro.

·
Premium Member
1,126 Posts
Somewhere I have a CD that has a song that mentions the A Shaw valley. It's impossible to listen to that CD without crying, so I haven't in a long while. There are some humorous tunes as well, one about Saigon warriors.

Update - just found "Angel in the Ashaw" by Ron Jones. Bootleg copy, maybe too scratched I don't know. A fellow Tulsan was the squad leader for the first to cross the bridge over the Perfume River into the Citadel at Hue. Barney gave me some CDs a few years back.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.