Walking Stick Forum banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello everyone,

I'm in a bit of a quandary and wonder if you might have any suggestions. Some of my canes are natural finish with a clear lacquer applied, and others have colored coatings such as black, brown, or burgundy. Since I'm a daily cane user and disabled, all of my canes show wear over time. On the more natural ones, I think this builds nice character, but on the colorful ones, I think it looks different. I know there are a lot of products out there for wood touch-ups, but it's difficult for me to know what, if anything, to get.

I know many of you here make your own sticks, and since I am not a maker just an everyday user, I wanted to get your expertise. Currently, I use spray paint made for wood. This works well enough, but I was wondering if there are any other options. I know touch-up markers and such exist which are good for quick nicks and you don't need to use them outdoors, but even on highly-rated products, people complain that the finish comes off easily, etc, and this is an object I'll be touching a lot. If anyone has worked with these or similar products and has a recommendation, I'd appreciate it. The spray paint does the job, but it requires a trip outside and usually bringing another cane to walk with after I've worked on the other one, plus carrying the spray bottle, etc.

I guess I'm prepared to just let this go, since I don't touch up every little scratch, either. I just like knowing that if my colorful sticks get dinged up in many places, I have the ability to restore them a bit to how they were. But I'm thinking perhaps I'm making all of that more trouble than it is worth, too, and should just learn to let it go. Thought I would ask here for ideas from the craftsmen.

Thank you all.

EDIT: I wanted to add that, this post and most that I make here are really all about me trying to find ways to do tasks I want to do myself. I live in a small apartment with limited space and no real setups for equipment, but I very much prefer to learn how to do as much DIY as I can regardless. This is a small issue that maybe I should just let go, but I ask here because there is always potential that, at the end of the day, perhaps it's another thing I can take care of myself without trying to find outside help or just giving up entirely, and that's important to me.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts