Walking Stick Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

Back again with another newbie question.

I mainly use the standard tourist handle wooden canes for mobility and support, as I probably mentioned in previous posts. Recently, I got the idea that I might like to try to wrap a handle such as this with some paracord.

I did a search here just in case the subject came up recently, but didn't find anything for this specifically.

Of course, there's lots of videos online to learn from, but I didn't find anything about wrapping a handle that curves around like the tourist canes/crook canes do. I'm sure someone has done it, but a quick search online for that revealing mostly just straight staffs or ax handles wrapped.

Before making a mess of things, I wanted to get some advice here. I'm wondering if it is somehow not easy to get something like paracord (this is what I'd be using) around the crook part of the cane and I'm not seeing it. Also, what the best knot is for a novice like myself to try, if any, and how to ensure it is tight. I found some videos that do simple yet effective wrapping in a few minutes that I think I could mimic with a little practice. There's one that uses alternating half knots on each side

There's not a lot to lose with practice, and it's something new to try, but I thought I'd ask here for anyone who's already done such things if they had any advice. I'll be trying it for the first time in a few days. I'd want to wrap over the crook and slightly down the shaft, with just a bit of the end of the crook still sticking out.

I know there's tons of videos, but again, they mostly focus on the straight hiking staff or the ax/knife handle. But I don't see why it couldn't work with a crook too?

Thanks, everyone.

·
Registered
704 Posts
I've never tried it, so I did some googling. I found this site which shows lots of different types of cord wrapping. Number 8 is done on a steering wheel. Might be just the thing for a crook handle.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've never tried it, so I did some googling. I found this site which shows lots of different types of cord wrapping. Number 8 is done on a steering wheel. Might be just the thing for a crook handle.

Thank you! I had seen that site pop up in general, but I didn't find that video, I will definitely check that out. It'll be a few days before I have some cord, so hopefully I can learn the theory of it well enough by then.

·
Registered
2,848 Posts
Hi everyone,

I mainly use the standard tourist handle wooden canes for mobility and support, as I probably mentioned in previous posts. Recently, I got the idea that I might like to try to wrap a handle such as this with some paracord.

I did a search here just in case the subject came up recently, but didn't find anything for this specifically.

Of course, there's lots of videos online to learn from, but I didn't find anything about wrapping a handle that curves around like the tourist canes/crook canes do. I'm sure someone has done it, but a quick search online for that revealing mostly just straight staffs or ax handles wrapped.

Before making a mess of things, I wanted to get some advice here. I'm wondering if it is somehow not easy to get something like paracord (this is what I'd be using) around the crook part of the cane and I'm not seeing it. Also, what the best knot is for a novice like myself to try, if any, and how to ensure it is tight. I found some videos that do simple yet effective wrapping in a few minutes that I think I could mimic with a little practice. There's one that uses alternating half knots on each side

There's not a lot to lose with practice, and it's something new to try, but I thought I'd ask here for anyone who's already done such things if they had any advice. I'll be trying it for the first time in a few days. I'd want to wrap over the crook and slightly down the shaft, with just a bit of the end of the crook still sticking out.

I know there's tons of videos, but again, they mostly focus on the straight hiking staff or the ax/knife handle. But I don't see why it couldn't work with a crook too?

Thanks, everyone.
Hi everyone,

Thanks, everyone.
There are a number of parcord raps that work on a curve. The Fish-scale braid or the corncob braid can work. There ar others. Google rapping a steering wheel with paracord. Tou can also use tennis racket handle rap. Paracord will hold moister and everyday use it will show dirt and hold odder from swetty hands. some thing to think about.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
There are a number of parcord raps that work on a curve. The Fish-scale braid or the corncob braid can work. There ar others. Google rapping a steering wheel with paracord. Tou can also use tennis racket handle rap. Paracord will hold moister and everyday use it will show dirt and hold odder from swetty hands. some thing to think about.
Thanks for your post. I knew it would probably show some wear after some time, but I admit, I didn't think about it holding moisture, odors, and dirt. That is indeed something to consider as I do use these every day inside and out.

I was mainly thinking this would be a good way to add slight thickness to the handle as my fingers are long and the palms are wide, and most standard handles just feel a little too narrow for me since I need to lean on them for balance and support.

Additionally, the varnish/lacquer that coats my canes (I like to have them in a couple of color options) tends to wear at the handle over time. I suppose that isn't a big deal since my hand is holding it most of the time anyway, but it is something I noticed, and I thought paracord might keep it looking a bit nicer.

You make great points that show some drawbacks, though. Thanks very much.

·
Registered
704 Posts
If it's just a bit of thickness you're trying to add, maybe a layer of twine or heavy duty string of some sort covered with a finish like polyurethane or epoxy resin.

There is a stick maker on youtube named James McMorran who did a video about wrapping a handle with twine and sealing it with regular wood glue.

Either way, you'd avoid the odor and staining from sweat and water absorption Randy mentioned.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If it's just a bit of thickness you're trying to add, maybe a layer of twine or heavy duty string of some sort covered with a finish like polyurethane or epoxy resin.

There is a stick maker on youtube named James McMorran who did a video about wrapping a handle with twine and sealing it with regular wood glue.

Either way, you'd avoid the odor and staining from sweat and water absorption Randy mentioned.
Wow, interesting, I will check that out! Used twine a lot as a lad on the farm; had never thought about it being a good wrap. Thank you!

·
Registered
2,848 Posts
I use had froor wax on my cane handle. I like Jonhsons floor wax. is cheep and work well. As the wear begins to show I clean it with some mineral spirits. Just lightly, not hard enough to effect the finish then put 2 or 3 new coats of wax on the handle. letting each coat dry thoroughly before adding another protects against moisture and keeps it looking good. If you are making your canes you can add to the size of the grip. I like a wider grip on the ones I make. If your not making your canes give it a try, its fun.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I use had froor wax on my cane handle. I like Jonhsons floor wax. is cheep and work well. As the wear begins to show I clean it with some mineral spirits. Just lightly, not hard enough to effect the finish then put 2 or 3 new coats of wax on the handle. letting each coat dry thoroughly before adding another protects against moisture and keeps it looking good. If you are making your canes you can add to the size of the grip. I like a wider grip on the ones I make. If your not making your canes give it a try, its fun.
I've always wanted to give it a go, but I'm in a small apartment without adequate workspace, really. Even for some cane maintenance, I have to go out around the back of the building (if I need to touch a finish or whatnot). I like doing things for myself, so it is a skill I wish I could cultivate.

·
Registered
2,848 Posts
I under stand that when I started making them I was in an appartment too. The thing about making a cane is you do not need a lot of space. I traveld a lot buy car in those days and made them in motel rooms. I put an old sheet on the floor, had a folding Workmate table and a few tools in a box. Warrning thought. It is like eating chips. It is hard to stop at just one!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts