Walking Stick Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Looking for some help in identifying what I have here. It seems to be bone and looks like vertebrae but I cant find any images online like this. It has been suggested as whale bone. Hopefully some opinions here will shed some light on this.Thanks.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
966 Posts
Sure looks like bone to me, but I think it has been carved. Kind of looks like it was done in sections, too, since after every third ridge, there seems to be a gap in between and the texture is different. Probably slid onto a core of wood or something. And the segments get longer as you go to the tip of the cane, which could be deliberate by the carver or could be that the carving material was longer and thinner.

The guess of whale is as good as any I think, but probably only some sort of genetic testing could pin it down for certain.

Found a picture of something a bit similar described as a carved bone cane.

Attachments

·
Registered
41 Posts
My best guess is its composed of a single piece of sperm whale pane bone. Use to be a one of the ways whaleman in the 18th century would kill time out at sea or during the winter months. They would carve canes or create scrimshaw art on bone.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Update. Took it to Dickinson's real deal who were in my area today and it was confirmed as whale bone. They didn't want it on the programme due to the sensitivities surrounding the ivory/bone trade although it is legal to buy and sell this item, for now anyway. Their auctioneer's advice was it was quite valuable but I didn't ask how much, and to sell at an auction with online presence.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.