Walking Stick Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi all,

Thank you for visit my topic.

I am the owner of lovely hiking cane (51inch) with Border Collie handle (pics attached).

Could enybody please let me know what is the main material used for the handle, and what can be the stick value?

I also have a nice made in Scotland 51inch Dykehead hiking stick with antler handle (pic attached). Any idea what can be value of this stick and where I can find more information about Dykehead sticks?

Thank you for any help or comments.

Artur

Attachments

·
Registered
2,850 Posts
Nice handle ryzy1983. I plan to do a market stick with a Border collie for my sister this coming spring. She raises borders.

·
Registered
3 Posts
HI Randy,

Thank you.

I realy love it that one, do you know how to check what was material used to made this handle? It looks like a type of resin (Metacrilate?) I am sure this is not a wood one.

·
Registered
32 Posts
The collie stick has a crude rams horn handle .These type of sticks we call market sticks if you wet the light coloured part you should be able to look into it .Horn is keretin the same material as finger nails. The stick you have looks like it has some age to it but not worth a lot of money maybe if lucky £50 .

The antler stick is called a hiking stalf and i sell these at £30 over here.

I have just put out another video No 8 to explain what we call our sticks it might help you.Dave

·
Registered
907 Posts
I understand , have been told that the "market Stick" is so named for it's use as a -leaning on- comfort aid when stood at market auctions so are usually around lower chest height to facilitate this posture.

But I could also be wrong.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts