Walking Stick Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3,101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I am a big fan of our fellow stick makers in the UK. While I respect the standerds that they hold themselve to, I like the less resticktive more creative options. But their talant and skill I think comes from those required standerds. Stick making is all most national activicy there. With national contests and shows. These are some pictures of their skills I have save for my own nspiration.

Plant Wood Branch Natural landscape Trunk
Dog Dog breed Carnivore Liver Working animal
Sculpture Wood Plant Carnivore Liver
Dog Sleeve Liver Carnivore Grey
Head Terrestrial animal Big cats Felidae Whiskers

·
Super Moderator
1,013 Posts
Some really beautiful sticks there Randy. That yew crook with the curled nose and thistle is stunning! Seeing those sticks in the BSG slideshow really makes me feel like an amateur, but definitely inspiring.

Thanks for sharing this!

·
Super Moderator
1,013 Posts
Is there some history behind the elephant trunk style I see there so many times. Like this one...
That style is referred to as a crook with a turned nose. Some people theorize that the nose is where a shepherd would hang a lantern if he/she was out with their critters at night, but I'm not sure that's true. I think it is simply to keep from poking the sheep in the neck when grabbing them with the crook.

·
Registered
3,101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That style is referred to as a crook with a turned nose. Some people theorize that the nose is where a shepherd would hang a lantern if he/she was out with their critters at night, but I'm not sure that's true. I think it is simply to keep from poking the sheep in the neck when grabbing them with the crook.
That is my understanding too Dww2, When these were shepherd tool they were not as fancy. I have seen pictures of old stics and the curl on the end of the handle started out as a notch cut in the handle to hold a lantern or what ever they need to hang.. Sticks with fancier handle begain to show up when they would take thier sheep to maket, and who had the best looking stick be came a competiton and the term " market stick" came along. That is what I have read.

·
Super Moderator
1,013 Posts
That does make a lot more sense, Randy, the turned nose evolving from a notch on a working stick. The thing that made me wonder was if the heat from a lantern wouldn't un-do the curl on the nose.

·
Registered
3,101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I saw a couple made with a V on top. Any idea what those were for? slingshot maybe? DR
Yes that is a thumb stick DR. Very popular in the field. Other will cut a U in the top of a stick to hang their thumb over it. it is a comfortable grip. I use one on my dog walking stick.
Hand Safety glove Wood Watch Natural material
Natural material Thumb Finger Wood Art

1 - 12 of 12 Posts