Walking Stick Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
352 Posts
Good looking start. What do U have in mind to do with the split behind the head?
I haven't thought that far ahead yet. The root wraps around the side that you don't see in the picture and it's really solid. The carving isn't intended to be a handle, just a decoration on the top. I guess I could fill it. If you are familiar with Nancy Tuttle's work, this is supposed to be in that vein.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks All, stay tuned for details as I figure out how I'm going to finish it up. One of my sons saw it last night and I got the impression he would really like to have it when I am finished.

·
Registered
3,170 Posts
I like it, the fact is it seems well proportioned and the way the beak overhangs the shank is a bonus to many people limit this which spoils the look

its just personnel preference

·
Registered
3,170 Posts
Havnt you got a control switch on your wood burner?

just use a stiff brush on it, it will remove some of the carbon and sunlight will fade it in time and it will look better when used a lot like most things

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yes, my burner has excellent control and I always strive to avoid scorching the wood. It's the wood that turned dark when the oil was applied. This piece was collected from a creek bank and was colored by the soil, water and tannins from the decaying bark. It had dark stains on it in some areas and when I put the linseed oil on it, the whole root end of the stick turned very dark. In hind sight, I should have just put polyurethane on it without the linseed oil. Lesson learned on this one.

·
Registered
2,086 Posts
I like it dark. Nice job. I have had similar results from linseed oil. I had it turn a medium colored aspen stick black. Since then I have learned a valuable lesson from several members here, do a test piece. Or at a minimum a small area of the piece that can be sanded off. Anyway as I said I like the dark effect makes the vulture look more sinister!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts