Walking Stick Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3,170 Posts
Very neat and precise well done.

is that powded copper you using or copper wire?

if its wire i take it you annealed it and treated it with acid looks very clean?

Copper wire once annealed is very easy to use , have you treated it to prevent disclouration?

·
Registered
3,170 Posts
Just seen you other post .copper grinding nice.

You can get powder copper in all types of grades .I have used it before to laminate between sheets of glass .and take it you can get most metals in this form.But would have thought it that this was brass, .copper is a bit soft for keys?

Copper sheet is also a nice material you may be interested in in once annealed its easy to cut beat and shape and would be a good materail for inlays a lot of it was used in the arts and craft movement ib the early 1900

as long as you treat it when a piece is finished it looks good

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you.It's very fine copper shavings from a scrap yard.It originally came from a factory that made shop vac motors and windings.I only sanded it flush and clear coated it.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I posted the same time you did.No the brass I got from a key machine at the local true value store.It's copper in the vine.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
These are just experiments for now.I'm collecting diamond willow and have a great start,and have alot more to cut in the fall.I'll decide what I want to stick with later.People keep suggesting what to make and I don't want to do everything just a few specialty things.

·
Registered
3,170 Posts
Just do what interests you, but your moving in the right direction and seem to be developing you own style

Its always good to keep a open mind and decide what to do that way you get a better piece,

People oftern ask me to make something as i mess around with wood its just a case of saying "no " now unless it interests me

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Sounds good.I like doing the walking sticks and canes with a little design to them.I'm not much at carving except to make room for inlays.I was asked this morning to make curtain rods towel holders etc. from diamond willow.Those would be ok as they are just short walking sticks. LOL. I have a skull cleaning business and drive semi full time so I have options.Just gonna do what I like I guess.

·
Registered
2,816 Posts
Well done. Nice looking cane.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thank you gentlemen,good to hear those kinda reviews.Have to inlay some initials in a DW stick for a friend in Tx,and try to inlay scales from an alligator gar in the same stick.

·
Registered
81 Posts
This is really nice. I'm definitely going to try that on one of my future canes. I saw a similar post on reddit.com/r/woodworking but that guy was inlaying azurite into a cutting board I think. Thanks for the inspiration.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts