Walking Stick Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was hunting deer way back in 83 and had walked around 5 or 6 miles from my truck late in the season. I stumbled down a steep hill and re-injured my back. It was a wet , drizzly day and was getting late. I could only walk with a very bad limp and dragging my right leg and foot. This was way before cell phones and I was along. I was trying to get back up the bank and broke off a sapling of unknown heritage now to help me get up. It was crooked but seemed strong enough. I got up the hill and started the long trek home. It took me at least 2 -3 hours using the stick as a cane. After getting back to the truck, well after dark, I drove home with the stick in the bed. After getting into the house I put it in the furnace room with my wet cloths. It ended up getting put in a corner and forgotten. It was actually between wall studs. One day years later I pulled it out and immediately remembered that day. The stick of course was well cured and quite springy. I sat down and finished taking the bark off. Most had peeled off when I was cutting it to get home in strips. I cut the ends off squarely and lightly sanded it to clean it. I quess I was just looking for something to do. It went into the rafters of the shop a few more years. I decided to make a cane from it. A friend who had a bar was throwing billard balls into the dumpster. I asked for one and got the 8 ball. Wish I'd of got them all. The Que was missing anyway. I drilled and mounted that ball with epoxy. I put clear urethane on it and a rubber tip. I keep it mostly for remembering that very painful day. I do sometimes take it with me but I do not put my weight on it. I have gotten so many comments on it over the years. I think that is why I look for bent sticks to convert to walking sticks.

Attachments

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes I'm a lover of wood and the grain ,knots and it's curves and imperfections. And I do like to incorporate it in my sticks. In fact I passed up some straight shafts and have taken the ones that "speak" to me. But I have a mental note of their location. I love sassafras but I also will not harvest a grove too much. We used to get sassafras in a small grove when I was a kid. We only took what we needed and always left most alone. Someone found that little wild grove. The pulled all the trees out for their roots. I checked last year and after 40 years I do not see any sassafras there at all. Where I get it now has saplings of all sizes up to full mature trees, and I tell nobody where they are. In fact a few years ago a tree started growing on the edge of the yard and it is one. This year I found several more close to it. Never had them right here before. Seeds must have passed through a bird. I'd love to know to this day who destroyed all those trees, they raped them to the death of that little grove.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.