Walking Stick Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3,070 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When we are new to stick making we do not always see possibilities when we are in the woods look for inventory. At leased I didn"t. I past up a lot of natural canes. Here are a few things to think about when you are out there.
Handwriting Rectangle Gesture Line Font

·
Super Moderator
966 Posts
Excellent examples, Randy. Makes perfect sense when you think about it; all the weight of the branch, season after season of leaves, possibly fruit or nuts, plus the twigs all held up by that bit of wood less than 2" in diameter. It's bound to be very, very strong.

·
Registered
8 Posts
When we are new to stick making we do not always see possibilities when we are in the woods look for inventory. At leased I didn"t. I past up a lot of natural canes. Here are a few things to think about when you are out there.
View attachment 28039
Here are a couple of mine, you have to use it handle forward. The shorter length makes it much easier to manipulate indoors. I don’t carve so I have to use what Mother Nature provides! The other is maybe black gum? The inner bark was orange.
Plant Insect Wood Twig Terrestrial plant
Wood Font Tints and shades Metal Shadow

·
Administrator
Retired
203 Posts
Thanks a lot Randy, that is a BIG help to me, there is no telling how may sticks I have passed up after seeing your drawings. I really do appreciate it a lot.

Mauldintiger, those are some good looking sticks, you did a really good job on them. I love the pictures, thanks for sharing.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.