Walking Stick Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3,170 Posts
I have carved buffalo in the shape of a fish .I like the material and rams horn initials for my wife stick get a lovely finish on the rams horn its so easy to bend and carve

I did mange to get a small sheet of rams horn but have difficulty in getting more

I do have 6 soya sheep's horns but have been told there to thin to turn into a crook. so hoping to have a go at using the ends for carving and turn the rest into horoscope / initials etc. if I can open them up and flatten them

The smell isn't very clever if you get a lot of friction on them so getting the right speed on the flexi tool is essential

Other thing I am interested in is using antler for birds beaks and for teeth to insert into a dragon topper. I haven't used antler but interested in doing so

Whistles look pretty good have made some from hazel off cuts., they tend to split after a while. maybe it was because I didn't oil them.

·
Registered
907 Posts
Nice set of whistles, I have not done any carving work on horn yet but there is a guy called Sasa Trkulja who posts his work in a group called Woodcarvers and Friends on facebook - open to all group he works on Fallow deer horns and coronets, for interest hav added a couple of pieces of his work - inspirational.

Wood Human body Jaw Trunk Horn
Jaw Terrestrial plant Ingredient Fungus Cuisine

Attachments

·
Registered
3,170 Posts
what's it like to drill antler bit of a challenge I would expect It must be like trying to work bone

A good rotary tool would be a must and rasps

buffalo horn must be easy compared to it

gloops

I think for what they are there are very cheap. You couldn't question his skill

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Gdenby. Antler is a bone it does not have a grain or fibers like wood and horn, so you can get good detail and shine on carvings.Its not as hard as you think I do scrape some with a knife.For my carving I use a foot controlled dremel or you can get a Foredom both have interchangable heads and take diferant size burs or burrs i use mostly dental burs. Cobolt. for birds beaks use rams horn offcuts, for a life like beak. Antler drills easily with a sharp drill bit but it does clog up so drill a little clean the bit and go again. N. The antler i used is whats called a pricket its the first years growth and only gets 6"-9" long the carving is done using the coronet the part that joins the antler to the head. To do a whistle carving takes about 3/4 hour. The carved stick heads i have out in my album took a bit longer the Fox and Wolf 1 1/2 hrs, carved from fallow deer coronets and the buzzard took 2hrs its carved from samber antler no longer available in this country. Dave

1 - 12 of 12 Posts