Walking Stick Forum banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
969 Posts
I suppose that the only way to get a piece of hazel big enough for carving would require maybe a decade of pollarding and cutting away sucker sprouts. The plant seems to have a natural habit of growing many thin shafts instead on a main trunk.

"A 8ft x 2ft x2.25 inches cost me about 32 engish pounds i think its pretty cheap..." If that is for lime, it compares favorably with American linden, aka basswood, that I've seen. Tho' I don't know I've ever seen a piece longer than 3 feet in length.

Most of the "exotic" woods available near me are tropical species, and are very hard and dense. Years ago I made some jewelry boxes w. purpleheart (peltogyne), and some yo-yos from zircote. Both were really hard. Burnt away some steel router bits on the purpleheart before switching to carbide. Suppose it might be carved, but I would expect a good deal of sweat.

American sycamore is rather fibrous. It has a peculiar grain structure, sort of a fine woven criss-cross mesh of harder and softer wood that can be very twisty. Not hard to cut, but a little prone to tear out. The bits I've worked on have been somewhat unpredictable. Perhaps pieces from a vendor who has been careful w. selection would provide something more uniform.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.