Walking Stick Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Rather than start a new thread every time I rescue another stick, I'll post them all here. Here is some of my more interesting sticks in various stages of completion. One thing I do with my sticks is beat them against a tree, for two reasons: one is obviously to see if they'll break( some do, these didn't). The other is, I believe by doing so compressses the wood and makes it more dense. Some are canes, some various sizes and thicknesses of walking sticks, some shilleales, a couple of war clubs, a couple of snake sticks( fork on the end of them) and crops. What I call a crop is a short stick, may 2-3ft and used to mainly move vines and sush out yor way when walking thru farily dense brush of a subtropical jungle/woods of Florida.

Attachments

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Some more,,,,,

A cane

Plant Wood Terrestrial animal Flooring Hardwood

Wood Flooring Hardwood Terrestrial animal Composite material

Close up of the knot in it,,

Wood Hardwood Natural material Wood stain Stain

A Merlin/Lord of the Rings stick

Wood Hardwood Art Plant Bone

Close up of the knot on the head

Jaw Natural material Wood Twig Plant

Crooked old stick for the crooked old man who lives on the crooked old road

Wood Floor Flooring Hardwood Pattern

Nice sized walking stick with a interesting head I call Hoof.

Wood Natural material Hardwood Composite material Twig

Close up of hoof

Wood Natural material Artifact Cuisine Dish

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,126 Posts
Always interesting to see all the forms and diverse wood that nature provides. Sometimes you walk through the woods and it's as if the stars are aligned, good kharma, and right there at your feet appears the most unusual specimen.

These pics are great!

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Always interesting to see all the forms and diverse wood that nature provides. Sometimes you walk through the woods and it's as if the stars are aligned, good kharma, and right there at your feet appears the most unusual specimen.

These pics are great!
Thanks, yes, I simply walk thru the woods and these pieces called out to me.....Now, finding this great place, I'm truly inspired to finsh these.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Interesting batch of sticks! Does your family show any concern about your addiction?
LOL, you mean my multiple addictions?, Our kids are all grown and out doing their own thing, so it's just the DW and I, here on the farm( we call Boggy Branch). We're both OCD, so we have all kinds of "addictions", that are perpetually changing,,,lol. I play guitar and brew my own beer, but don't drink( but have friends who do), I just enjoy the process. I build 1911's and shoot archery( and just got bit by the slingshot bug). The DW and I love to go kayak fishing/camping and hunt with cameras. She's a photo buff and makes cheese and butter and yogurt and cans produce and salsas and chutneys, etc. We raise all our own meat and have a garden( year round growing season), too. Never a dull moment,,,lol

·
Premium Member
1,126 Posts
Interesting batch of sticks! Does your family show any concern about your addiction?
LOL, you mean my multiple addictions?, Our kids are all grown and out doing their own thing, so it's just the DW and I, here on the farm( we call Boggy Branch). We're both OCD, so we have all kinds of "addictions", that are perpetually changing,,,lol. I play guitar and brew my own beer, but don't drink( but have friends who do), I just enjoy the process. I build 1911's and shoot archery( and just got bit by the slingshot bug). The DW and I love to go kayak fishing/camping and hunt with cameras. She's a photo buff and makes cheese and butter and yogurt and cans produce and salsas and chutneys, etc. We raise all our own meat and have a garden( year round growing season), too. Never a dull moment,,,lol
So, did you find this via the Slingshot forum that Aaron started long before he built this one at his dad's request?

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
So, did you find this via the Slingshot forum that Aaron started long before he built this one at his dad's request?
yes, I have a wrist rocket, but wanted something stronger and that led me to Youtube, to Jorge sayer. I was going to buy one of his slingshots, but then thought, well, there has to be a maker in the USA, so that led me to Bill Hays, so I went on his website and ordered a HTS. That led me to the slingshot forum and then yes, that led me to here,,,,lol

·
Registered
969 Posts
I've done a number of crooked sticks, but yours beats what I've tried to pull off.

I think if you take the "fugly" stick head to a good level of finish, it will end up beautiful as it is tough. Can then call it a "beaugh"stick.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Here's a couple of sticks I've been motivated to finish. They've been sanded with up 1500 grit, stained with Cherry Mahogany, sanded again ( to reveal the grain) and then rubbed with EVOO. I still haven't figured out this photo thing( I'd love to have the stick glowing with great detail, with a complimenting background, etc), I'm no pro by any means.

This is my first project, I guess a small Shilly ( I don't weant to have to spell that out every time),,,

Wood Art Terrestrial animal Tail Hardwood

Natural material Wood Hardwood Plant Wood stain

Next is the crooked stick

Wood Line Elbow Waist Symmetry

Wood Natural material Art Metal Composite material

Next is the large shilly( or I prefer to think of it as a small war club),,,,

Wood Line Reptile Twig Scaled reptile

Natural material Helmet Artifact Art Wood

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,126 Posts
Here's a couple of sticks I've been motivated to finish. They've been sanded with up 1500 grit, stained with Cherry Mahogany, sanded again ( to reveal the grain) and then rubbed with EVOO. I still haven't figured out this photo thing( I'd love to have the stick glowing with great detail, with a complimenting background, etc), I'm no pro by any means.
You illustrate what I like most about this pastime. Each stick has its own unique character, and becomes a work of art, a combination of nature's own innate character and the craftsman's ability to make it shine!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts