Walking Stick Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,849 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is a stick I got from Smoky Mountain Woodcarving. I did not know when I ordered it that they had a finish on them. It is a bit of a pain to clean it all off and refinished. but the have a nice shape and dry, I love the color and look of a cedar stick and cane. How ever carving it can be a challenge.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,849 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks you.

·
Registered
2,849 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Had some time this week to work on this. I will surround the face and back of the top of the cane with leaves.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,849 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
A little progress today on starting the leaves that will surround the head.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,849 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Textured around the leaves and the grip next I will give the leaves shape and put in the vanes.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,849 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
On to another step. Giving the leaves some shape.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,849 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Just a bit of clean up to do the finish. I am waiting for some Waterlox marine tung oil I order.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,849 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yes Rad, waterlox is higher than some but it is worth it to me. I have used it for years. I love tung oil as a finish. Many do not. It is a bit more work. On some woods it darkens more that other finishes will. But It is one of the best protectants. I have had a lot of good results using the marine tung oil on out side projects, sticks and canes.

·
Registered
2,849 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks cobalt. Like you I like to see other work and to be able to follow their process I have learn so much from the carvers that have shared that.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts