Walking Stick Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,126 Posts
My first three walking sticks were made from eastern red cedar. I think they turned out well, and I like those areas where exposed heartwood adds natural variability.

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
Almost any wood will do -- some better than others -- all have their unique characteristics.
Most hard woods will resist marring better, but not all of them! For instance, Balsa is a hard wood, but it sure wouldn't resist denting! It all depends on what you want to use it for.

·
Premium Member
697 Posts
I've got quite a bit of Red cedar and love it for walking sticks and canes. I don't think I can remember many pieces splitting

or much checking occuring and I think you would be happy with the results of this beautiful smelling, colorful wood once

finished.

·
Registered
131 Posts
A very nice wood. A pain to harvest, as it's so full of very sticky sap, but once dry it is light, strong and looks nice. I've got a big sapling I just harvested a month or so ago, will make a nice stick and a cane. It's starting to dry now. I'll take the bark off very soon before it gets too dry, but after it stops actively oozing sap.

go for it!

·
Registered
144 Posts
I cut about 400 cedar sticks last winter, which I plan to make into walking sticks.

The trees were between 10 and 13 years old according to tree rings.

I cut the sticks along the side of the parkway.

Last week I made about 15 sticks and they look great.

Attachments

1 - 8 of 8 Posts