Walking Stick Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was walking a windrow shelterbelt, and came across a section of Chokecherry trees. I harvested one branch that has made 2 walking sticks. The first is done(except for trimming and completing the forked foot), and the second is in 1st coat of Tung Oil, though not yet painted to recreate the black of the spalted deadwood. Pictures are at http://needleprovocateur.wordpress.com/2014/03/20/chokecherry-curmudgeon/.

·
Registered
969 Posts
There's some choke cherry around here. More black cherry, which I've used once. Fairly easy to carve, and reasonably strong.

I 've used a lot of sticks that were pretty crooked. Mostly because I want to try different woods, and its hard f\to find straight lengths over 3'. I've retired a few that I now think are too likely to break. Personally, I like a a bit of crookedness, but do intend to try heat straightening in awhile.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Rad,

Yes, I do like them crooked. This one is at about max for crooked, though. They get a bit weak and springy, though this Chokecherry is surprisingly stiff.

Gdenby,

Black Cherry is pretty rare here in North Dakota, probably only in a back yard of a city house.

I want to try to make a stick of most of the woods that are available here, so eventually, I'll have a lot of sticks! Finding straight ones over 3' is a problem. I have used a heat gun to straighten minor curves, but not all sticks survive the process. I've had better luck straightening by bending right after soaking, and letting them dry in a straight position for a week or so. I haven't tried steam yet, but I plan on that in the future.

·
Registered
2,086 Posts
Two thumbs up on the snake painting. :thumbsu: :thumbsu:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts