Walking Stick Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
419 Posts
Anyone making anything besides canes for Christmas?

Here is what is keeping me from carving.
Commission for a UT Cigar box geetar and amp

almost finished.

Also have a tavern style sign for my FIL.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,170 Posts
Nice one , like to see diferent ideas like the old cigar style labels gives a bit more character.

Keep at it

I have just got a new commision today .A girl wants a pineapple carving and mounting on a hiking pole..? Her father is mad on growing fruit so its a suprise christmas pressy from her.

So have to set about drawing and scaling it down , mad idea but a bit of fun

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, that's the label that came on the box. I love cigar box art.

Pineapples aren't far off from thistle blooms in style, you can pretend you are doing a thistle :)

There is an american myth that the Pineapple became a symbol of hospitality in the colonies, and is very prevelent in the colonial styles.

On gate posts and furniture.

·
Registered
969 Posts
Just the other day I came across springerle cookie molds. I know they are a very old tradition, but I had never seen one. I doubt I could do any before Christmas, but my younger daughter always brings cookies when they come for holidays, and I think she would enjoy having a few molds to emboss her sweets. So perhaps next year.

·
Registered
3,170 Posts
Thanks, that's the label that came on the box. I love cigar box art.

Pineapples aren't far off from thistle blooms in style, you can pretend you are doing a thistle :)

There is an american myth that the Pineapple became a symbol of hospitality in the colonies, and is very prevelent in the colonial styles.

On gate posts and furniture.
Yes your right about pineapples they feature on many statley homes also prominant in up market victorian holiday spots such as Nice and Monti Carlo

Just the other day I came across springerle cookie molds. I know they are a very old tradition, but I had never seen one. I doubt I could do any before Christmas, but my younger daughter always brings cookies when they come for holidays, and I think she would enjoy having a few molds to emboss her sweets. So perhaps next year.
The tradtion of cookies as you call them are pretty new to me , also your thanksgiving tradition it takes a very different format to our harvest festival, always interesting to know of different culturale ideas

so you will have to take a picture of it as i have no idea what it looks like,its always good tyo keep these traditions alive.

You also celebrate halloween its a new thing over here made popular by your tradition, its Guy Faukes night that is more popular ,sometimes i wish he had blown up parliment lol

·
Registered
3,170 Posts
Have got the drawing done to the scale i want for the pineapple will make a template out transfer it to wood and hopefully have it cut out ready in the next2 days so will take pics of its progress .a critique is always useful.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Very nice, JJ. We were told the same thing about pineapples and hospitality in colonial Williamsburg, VA.

A carving class this Friday for me. But nothing new and exciting until after Christmas. I'm a fan of all kinds of boxes. Great for decorating and putting small gifts inside. Two gifts in one -- the pretty box and the stuff inside the box.

I stumbled upon birch bark containers (Naveburker) today. I'd LOVE to take a class from Ramon Persson. A folk art instructor and craftsman from Sweden. The paint is hand-mixed from natural pigments and pure linseed oil to bring out the natural grain and beauty of the bark. Very lovely stuff.

·
Registered
3,170 Posts
nice on whats it sound like?

talking of christmas pressys this is one i got last christmas from my daughter its empty now

006.JPG 007.JPG

always much nicer to recieve a hand med item

Attachments

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
It sounds good for a 4 string, no fret, slide guitar.

here is an interesting video exemplifying the style

That says biscuits, but I know that is cookies ;)

·
Registered
156 Posts
Cool design. Nice work. I love playing slide more than just about anything. I have several old lapsteels.Just curious, are you using piezo electronics in that axe?

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yessir, simple piezo under the lid, not up to real pick ups yet. I don't play, but I will make another and learn.

·
Registered
3,170 Posts
Very nice, JJ. We were told the same thing about pineapples and hospitality in colonial Williamsburg, VA.

A carving class this Friday for me. But nothing new and exciting until after Christmas. I'm a fan of all kinds of boxes. Great for decorating and putting small gifts inside. Two gifts in one -- the pretty box and the stuff inside the box.

I stumbled upon birch bark containers (Naveburker) today. I'd LOVE to take a class from Ramon Persson. A folk art instructor and craftsman from Sweden. The paint is hand-mixed from natural pigments and pure linseed oil to bring out the natural grain and beauty of the bark. Very lovely stuff.
very impressed with Ramon persson work and his use of colour can see why you like it.

I have only been carving for 18months or so but hopefully will improve as time goes by.

most of previous work was ceramic and glass sculpture ,but i find forward planning a big help in carving so always make drawings and templates but still getting to grips with wood in particular when you have to go against the grain.

I am tempted to use oils on wood but not yet got into it mainly because of curing times .which shouldnt be a factor as i do as i please

·
Registered
3,170 Posts
Finished Version
That is brillant JJireh really taken by it.

Have shown it to my grandson, he is just learning to play the guita,r and he wants to have a go at one , so looking forward to doing it together

he wonders where we can get a cigar box from lol. but thanks for that another project in the pipeline

·
Registered
3,170 Posts
had a look at the site names very familar old boston and bargate bridge funny that we live very close to bargate bridge over here

I suppose we or i will make one and search for cigar labels its some time since i played so i am looking forward to having a go at it as well.

I like the blues so very interested in it, to may things to do to many ideas but fun,

It was suprising loud without amp. but he has one anyway

·
Registered
3,170 Posts
This reminds me of the old skiffle groups in the 5os and a guy called lonnie donnegan dont suppose your heard of him over there but they played a washboard and a base made from a old washtub and a broom handle and string of some kind until the got well known

but the sound on the cigar box is of early rock and roll

it was a different sound, but this has my grandson wanting to try it all. and wants old records of it . so having to search u tube for them

·
Registered
3,170 Posts
Not to far from nashvile i see but a small place

Spot on only 0 .5 mile from st botolphs

I also have been educating myself with america and always search the map where everyone comes from , but you can put england in about 35 of your states and still have room

i wondered if where people lived had any thing to do with different styles of stickmaking but it seems to have simular identity English styles are different to yours but overall the same throught the UK

1 - 20 of 33 Posts