Walking Stick Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I often pop into the stick shop on New Oxford St in London and notice their sticks generally all have the same collar which appears to be riveted,anyone got any idea how these are made?

Attachments

·
Registered
907 Posts
IT LOOKS TO ME THAT THE COLLARS ARE PINNED TO KEEP THEM IN POSITION. THESE PIS ARE BASICALLY A DOMED HEADED NAIL WHERE THE DOMED HEAD IS THE SAME MATRIAL AS THE COLLAR. A COMMONN USE OF THIS TYPE OF PIN IS IN upvc cladding.

·
Registered
34 Posts
i have some but all mine are silver and expensive to boot but they do look nice indeed even the pins holding them into the sticks are silver.

·
Registered
497 Posts
This certainly gives me an idea. The same could be done with copper, brass, or what have you. It takes the worry out of fitting an off size stick to a standard collar. I bet a sheet metal shop could cut you a length of metal to your width of choice.

·
Registered
907 Posts
Collars can enhance the look of sticks but I think most of the time they are used for ease of making the joint twixt topper and shank, specifically if it is a "bark on shank" as the finishing of a natural joint is time consuming with a lot of care not to damage the bark. That's predominantlytyhe use at our stick club.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.