Walking Stick Forum banner

copper and brass inlays

1K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  Don 
#1 ·
I'm thinking of trying some copper inlay. Nothing fancy, just maybe a swirl or a band or two. My question is what is the best adhesive to use? I'm guessing epoxy but there's a lot of different epoxies out there.
I'd appreciate any insight yall could send my way.
Thanks, Valky

#2 ·
What type of inlay materials are you thinking about useing? Copper wre, strips of shin copper or copper powdwer? You can use a clear epoxy or a good CA glue in most choices. Treeline USA has a section on powder and crushed stone on their web site. I think they offer copper and brass powders. They also have videos. This is a good how to on wire from the WCI forum.
how to do silver wire inlay. - Woodcarving Illustrated

#5 ·
I have some sticks I've had around for way too long and have developed long linear cracks along the length. They have interesting profiles, are structurally ok and one would make a good cane, so I was thinking of using the cracks for random metal inlays. Any thoughts on how to inlay or melt metals or other substances into the cracks? Would probably need to widen the crack, but still..

#7 ·
Hi Don and welcome to the forum Treeline sells a number of inlay materials including copper an brass powders. Also stone and a glow in the dark. You can mix any with CA or Epoxy.

#6 ·
welcome to the forum, Don - looking forward to seeing some of your projects.
the only metal that can be melted into wood without causing a lot of unwanted damage is "pewter" which is like lead, and will tarnish if not protected.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.