Walking Stick Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm thinking about - still in the maybe stage - attempting to countersink some COINS - into the very top of some cane shafts...am guessing I'd need a Forstner bit close to the same size, perhaps a wee bit larger but then I'm stuck.

How would I "seal" those coins in place - I'd like them covered with a clear transparent product, also.

Any suggestions?

Thanx

-neb

Attachments

·
Registered
497 Posts
Other than the Forstner bits, you could use one of those flat spade bits. In fact the spade bit can be easily ground down to a perfect fit for the coin. Chuck it in a drill press for better control.

·
Registered
907 Posts
The coin can be set in or just glued on top.with reference to encapsulating it the method used by members of our stick club is by using clear cold cast resin, this is a 2 part product resin & hardener The end of the stick is built up with plasticity to create a well above the coin approx 1/2 to 3/4 inch deep or deeper if required. The resin is mixed and slowly poured into the well allowing air bubbles to escape note a toothpick can be used to ease stubborn bubbles out. Leave to let the resin cast set note the stick has to be securely held in a vice or clamp with the well vertical dying this process. When set the well is removed and the cast can be dressed usually into a DOMED shape initially with a file and then with progressive finer grades of sanding paper to remove all scratch/sanding marks and finally polished with T cut or any polishing compound. The DOMED shape acts as a magnifier to the coin.

·
Registered
217 Posts
I have always wanted to do this to. Gloops have you got any pictures for the epoxy end result. Also, how do stickmakers achieve in inlay, say a coin inlayed into the bony part of the antler coronet - which is what I want to do.

·
Registered
907 Posts
In reply to firie000 question here is some additional info.

This article was published i "The Stickmaker" the monthly publication for members of "The British Stickmakers Guild" from April 2013, the article is probably older.

Publication Font Material property Book Paper Font Publication Book Paper Paper product Line Font Book Parallel Pattern Font Publication Material property Book Paper

Additional examples

Sleeve Plant Wood T-shirt Feather Gesture Musical instrument Finger Thumb Art [ Wood Font Measuring instrument Clock Gauge

In antler items can be added in any position, cut out the aperture using a rotary too i.e. a Dremmel and rotary burr, cast as normal.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,854 Posts
When I inlay a object in a stick I go 1/8th deeper than the object I am Inlaying. At the bottom of that hole I undercut the wall of the hole. This locks in the resin or epoxy, allowing for the natural expansion and contraction of the wood.

Rectangle Font Parallel Pattern Symmetry

Attachments

Reactions: Gloops
1 - 8 of 8 Posts