Walking Stick Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Administrator
38 Posts
welcome to the forum, MT.
you have some really nice projects in the works. I see from your flag icon that you are in Lebanon - we like to see members here from all over the world.

·
Administrator
38 Posts
there was a member on another woodworking website that forced colored stones like turquoise dust into cracks and then used epoxy to hold everything together and sanded it all smooth. they were beautiful.
there are all kinds of ways to "embellish" what we call "faults" to save a project.

·
Administrator
38 Posts
I found one example by Steve (welikecamping) on WoodWorkingTalk.com. there are many others, but this was just a quick find.. so just because you have some cracks or other "imperfections" in the project, doesn't mean it's ruined.
embellishments are limited only to your imagination, skill sets and available tools. be careful of the material you choose to do the inlay with - it must be able to be sanded smooth. artificial turquoise is plastic and sands easily. colored glass will not sand at all. some natural stones look great, but will not sand smooth.
you could probably cruise through the cheap "costume jewelry" section at WalMart and get some colored plastic items that appear to be "solid" (not painted) and break them up to experiment with. Mother-of-Pearl and Turquoise sounds like they would look good together.
Baked goods Electric blue Ingredient Pattern Artifact

Brown Wood Paint Natural material Trunk

Brown Wood Flooring Varnish Wood stain

Arm Leg Human body Wood Tire

Wood Tints and shades Fender Hood Window

Wood Natural material Trunk Glass Artifact

·
Administrator
38 Posts
anyone that wants to try this style of embellishment - put on your dark shades and your big floppy hat and browse through the ladies costume jewelry dept. and gather up some baubles that can be easily crushed up into small pieces and also sand smooth easily without any melting. (hand files come to mind vs power sander).
take a grinder and cut some grooves in a pine board and practice to see what works and what doesn't.
I would also invest in some quality "casting resin" vs epoxy because it is more clear after curing. (but much slower). superglue also works well - but is a might expensive in larger quantities.

disclaimer: I do not have any personal experience with dark glasses, floppy hats and the ladies departments.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts