Walking Stick Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This might seem corny or whatever but in the short time I've been making sticks, I've found that it's more than just a hobby for me. I walk through the woods and seek out potential in things that a lot of people would overlook.

I discovered one of my most favorite walking sticks walking one day when I came up on a dead Cedar. I pulled it up by the roots and something about it got my attention. I sat right there and whittled the bark, moss and basically all the dead muck off of it and it just looked like it had a good potential. I took it home and lathered it down in baby oil and it brought out the deep purple and golden features of the wood. The roots give it uniqueness and it's an awesome stick. Who would have thought that an old dead tree that'd been stuck in the ground for who knows how long would've had the potential to become such an interesting tool?

There's something about going into an unlikely place and seeking out the unlikely things and crafting them into handsome useful pieces of gear that makes one proud to display and use.

Anyway, these are things I think about while hunting for sticks. Maybe I'm not the only one... lol

·
Super Moderator
966 Posts
I too find myself looking for an interesting finished product in the amazing shapes trees can grow into. The last few times I've been out collecting, I was mainly looking for exposed roots with the potential of making a good handle.

Who would have thought that an ugly root or branch could turn into a lovely handle?

Attachments

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.