Walking Stick Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking into getting some deer antlers thinking they might make good cane handles.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

thanx

-neb

·
Registered
2,854 Posts
Antler can make a nice handle. It can be hard to fined a large piece shape well for a handle. Also make sure to uses good dust controls when working with it.

Reactions: norson

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
Antler has been used for many years. There are some great antique examples out there. I think most are made from red deer or stag antlers but there's no reason deer antler from North America won't work.

StickswithDave recommends using a wooden tenon instead of a metal fastener to join antler to a shank. I agree. I just made a handle from elk antler recently and a metal connector is too skinny to have adequate support in the marrow inside the antler. The marrow is relatively soft and will crush under pressure.

Rodney

·
Registered
907 Posts
Deer antler is used a lot in UK from basic to elaborate carved handles , here a few examples

Plant Wood Terrestrial plant Twig Chair Tool Plant Framing hammer Transparency Font Tool Natural material Wood Liquid Fashion accessory Plant Wood Tool Natural material Metal Mushroom Wood Metal Art Fashion accessory Face Sculpture Beak Fawn Wood Giraffe Beak Sculpture Wood Giraffidae

Attachments

·
Registered
907 Posts
Antler has been used for many years. There are some great antique examples out there. I think most are made from red deer or stag antlers but there's no reason deer antler from North America won't work.

StickswithDave recommends using a wooden tenon instead of a metal fastener to join antler to a shank. I agree. I just made a handle from elk antler recently and a metal connector is too skinny to have adequate support in the marrow inside the antler. The marrow is relatively soft and will crush under pressure.

Rodney
Re using a studdind connector rod, I have used them and the method is to drill out the marrow then pack with car body filler leave to harden and set then drill for studding and epoxy in as normal.

·
Registered
3,170 Posts
like gloops said its been used for umpteen years here makes a excellent walking stick . stick with dave videos are a good ref source or go done the route gloop suggested both work .But as CV3 said dust control wear a dust mask

·
Registered
352 Posts
The stuff stinks like crazy if you cut it with power tools.
Rodney
True that! I recently found a shed antler while out hunting sticks and it was too small for a walking stick handle. I cut a piece to make a knob handle for my ferrocerium rod fire starter and shaped / drilled it. Funky smell!

Attachments

·
Registered
35 Posts
Yeah Antler handles pretty commonplace over here in the UK,a full antler can give you a thumb stick,gun stick and a straight handle.
Nice change from wood. A couple here than I've done recently.

Attachments

·
Registered
604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Even though my brother lives on 50 acre wooded property and has seen deer by the dozen he has never found a deer rack/antler in the 13 years of living there.

Oh well, I had hopes.

Dashed again, I guess.

:cool:

·
Registered
205 Posts
I love using the Red deer antler, I have even got used to the smell (almost) I would like to try some of the other species of British deer but I don't see many Fallow and the Roe antler I have is too small. N.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I enjoy using whitetail deer antler, which is the most plentiful on east coast of US. Actually had some success using smaller antler point closest to the crown as the post or rod that is fastened into the stick. It usually is 2.5-4 inches into the stick. The thick part of the antler becomes the handle. Nature creates lots of variety and opportunity to be creative. I use marine epoxy and have for all my stick joinery. A picture is worth 1000 words, so I'll try to upload a few shortly. Love this forum!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thanks folks- my apologies in advance, but can someone explain the process of attaching a picture or refer me to a post that explains the process? I searched but didn't find the info. Likely in front of my nose, as my wife likes to point out!

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
I upload to photobucket then copy the url from photobucket to here. I know there are other ways. This is just what I do.

I'm not sure how to do it straight from my computer or if it's even possible.

Rodney

·
Registered
497 Posts
If you go to the reply box, then click on 'more reply options', you will be able to find a box that says Browse. Click on browse and then you will be able to go to your files and choose a photo to open. Going back to the reply box, you then click on Attach This File and then post the selection in your reply. It's easy once you start following the directions.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts