Walking Stick Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,854 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My last post on this carving was back in Feb. A commission project and the life issues resulted in me putting it on the topper rack until yesterday. Which was good, because I was not pleased with the way the sycamore was reacting towards my efforts to carve it? It is American sycamore even with a sharp tool the interlocking grain is difficult to work with. It is a soft wood but dense. Not a wood I will choose to work with again. I am doing much of the work with a rotary tool at this point. Still with the small detail the interlocking grain wants to tear if I am not carful. Live and learn. I have already gotten new basswood blocks from Heinecke wood for my second dog carvings.

Plant Jaw Sculpture Statue Lawn ornament

Attachments

Reactions: MJC4

·
Registered
2,086 Posts
It may be tough to work with but your results are great! That funky grain will give it a sweet look after it's finished.

I used sycamore a cpl years ago on a Santa project. The stuff I used was still a bit green so not as tough to carve, though I had to "nuke" it in the microwave to dry it out. With all the other woods out there to work with I probably won't use it again either.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.