Walking Stick Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We had to take down what I was told was an ash in Fall 2016. The tree was pulled into the woods and large sections of it are off the ground. I harvested some sticks from the trunk this weekend and would appreciate thoughts from folks about using wood that has been "seasoned" out doors.

Plant Wood Terrestrial plant Twig Trunk
Trunk bark looks like ash photos I've compared online

Plant Insect Pest Terrestrial plant Flower
Rough sawn end of a stick

Plant Wood Automotive tire Tire Tree
Peek at inner bark

Mesh Wire fencing Plant Wood Composite material

Attachments

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
I love working with ash - even long dead ash can remain rock hard! You Probably will have to take the bark off if it doesn't fall off - but it should provide some great stick material. Great save!

·
Registered
2,854 Posts
The general rule of thumb is about a year per inch of diameter in open air dry place. I would guess those would be ok. I would cut out the split in the one you took the photo of and see if you have enough left for a cane shank.

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
Ash is nice. I've made a couple out of dead ash.

With any dead wood just check it first and be sure it's sound. Also, just because it's dead doesn't mean it's dry. It's a good idea to let it dry like a fresh harvested stick before you use it.

The other thing I've noticed with the found dead wood I've used is it doesn't seem to steam as easily or well as wood I've cut green. I've broken far more dead wood than I've been able to straighten.

Rodney

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks to all. Yeah, while they were off the ground, the sticks I harvested were outside in the elements for about a year. I cut all of them long, so I think I will resist temptation on these, seal the ends, and toss them in the garage rafters.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.