Walking Stick Forum banner

dust extraction

7K views 23 replies 5 participants last post by  cobalt 
I use a Large shop vac that I just hook up to whatever machine I'm using! I even use it with small rotory tools an hand tools, it works pretty well! I use a disposable bag inside, it will really extend the life of the vac.

I was considering a vac .
Did you construct a cabinet for the vac whilst using a rotary tool? people have mentioned it to me basically a small box open at the front but not tried it yet
No, that would probably be a good idea -- I simply clamp the hose near my work and it does a pretty good job of sucking up the dust! You don't want to be cheap with the vac -- get one with good sucking power and good capacity! I've used mine for years!

My shop gets covered in dust. Last weekend I opened the back door, put a big (4 foot diameter) fan in it and fired up the leaf blower. It's amazing how much dust you can stir up with a leaf blower. I got a lot of it out of my shop though.
That's a big fan! I assume you wore some kind of respirator while you were doing it?

Ouch! How are your lungs today?

Your right though -- dust collection tends to be the last thing we want to spend money on, but really the first thing we should consider!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.