Walking Stick Forum banner
41 - 51 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
3,057 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
Well I am done excepted for last coat of urethane on the head and beak and the marine tung oil on the shaft.
The tung oil will darken the shaft some. I will look at it a few more days. Beak is still to long and should more rounded end down to the point of the beak. It is more noticeable with the paint on.
Im not sure it doesn't look more like a turkey.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,170 Posts
lol a turkey

no it dosnt look like a turkey and dont think the beak is to long

its a good job

post the pics of the finished item including the shank

mark the job as A1 and not as my teacher said "could do better"

·
Registered
2,086 Posts
Definitely not a turkey CV3. As the carver/artist we are the first and last critic of our own work. Sometimes we are the harshest of critics.

I think its a great looking piece and I for one would be proud to walk with it.

·
Registered
3,057 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
It is amazing to me how you can make a little change and make a big difference. I was just not happy and spent a day thinking about it looked at some pictures and decided to make the pupils larger. \I think imade a big improvement in the look.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,086 Posts
It's a small tweak but it does make a big difference. :thumbsu: After I looked at pics of eagles on the net the pupils are quite large.

I really need more practice carving eyes. The beads I have been using are ok but the detail that can be accomplished by carving them is by far a big improvement.

·
Registered
3,057 Posts
Discussion Starter · #48 ·
Will it be flying of to a new home?
In a week or so. I will send it to the Texas Woodcarvers Guild. They have a program called "Canes For Vets". They take custom made canes to the big military rehab hospital in San Antonio Texas. And the canes are given to military veterans.

·
Registered
3,170 Posts
It would be good to know ,after all you have given a fair amount of work into it..But most of all it would be good to know that someone would use it and that it has found the right nesting site

41 - 51 of 51 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.