Walking Stick Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3,170 Posts
nice job

have used this methed works well

good to see step by step work on a topper and do like to see work on toppers larger than a shank . working on the shank size donst allow for detail quite as much and seems out of balance . It works for the wood spirit but doesn't work anywhere near as well on other subjects

·
Registered
3,170 Posts
looking at the plans for the elephant I can see why you need that size block. .Its certainly a fair size project to take on but think it will be rewarding. What you have done so far looks pretty true to the pattern

There's ten pages of information on the carving with another 4 pages on the painting, so lots of info to absorb with good pictures

It looks a interesting project .The idea of using superglue to protect the tusks seems like a good idea and offers a natural look to them.

will follow with interest

One thing it does highlight the need for the material you need to get the right balance when fully carved .Its a strong image its also pronounced giving the appearance of a well carved proportioned stick. It will certainly be a talking piont

·
Registered
3,170 Posts
the effect that super glue has on the wood is quite good and prefer it rather than painted white maybe a slight wash would help?

so looking forward to seeing the carved and finish you use

It also works well on painted eyes as it gives the eyes a bit of a sparkel its more noticable as i dont use gloss finish varnish ,Which I think spoils the overall effect of a dressed shank

That some thing I have never used when making puppets as its very distracting in sunlight giving of a bit of a glare

·
Registered
3,170 Posts
working in the round its always beter not to rush you cant put the wood back on.

Getting the basic shape formed is time consuming sometimes I have pushed it on been over confident other times to hesitant not sure which is worse

A difficult subject to get the basics done good luck

·
Registered
3,170 Posts
the carving is moving in the right direction .I don't think attaching the tusks to the trunk is going to make much difference to stability

It looking good

·
Registered
3,170 Posts
like it

a interesting project even with a sore thumb

hope it doesnt delay you to much .What did the good lady say not amused i bet

always good to see different toppers

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.