Walking Stick Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
828 Posts
Some handy tips, there, Rodney. I tend to literally use a rule of thumb for shank size. My thumb is an inch wide at the knuckle. If the thick end of a potential shank is the size of my thumb or smaller, I pass on cutting it. I'll get it next year or the year after.

We finally might have broken out of the horrible heat and humidity we've had all summer long. (Long range forecast says low 80s end of next week but no humidity) Might have to venture out into the shop again soon.

Speaking of rustic, had two more sales on Etsy. The hawthorn cane which looked kind of like an antler tine and the really crooked ash cane. I'm thinking I should lean more towards the rustic type since 4 of my 5 sales were that style (and the 5th had a natural looking handle)

Attachments

·
Registered
828 Posts
Thanks. While collecting blanks last year, I came across another ash which is very similar in shape to the crooked stick.

I think I have good luck in finding the root sticks because of the soil here: there isn't much of it. There is a shallow layer of topsoil over hard blue clay which makes for some interesting shapes. Not to mention a few places where exposed roots are everywhere. I've collected 20+/- of them and they're drying in my garage

1 - 2 of 2 Posts