Walking Stick Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last week the Black Hills National Forest in South Dakota was hit by a snowstorm and thousands of trees and branches around the area are down. There is oak, elm, ash, cottonwood, poplar, apple, and the list goes on and on. Everyone is helping clean up in the parks and public areas. I have recently started making canes and walking sticks and was wondering if anyone had any tips and/or information about harvesting some of this beautiful wood that will soon head to the landfill. What should I look for? Which wood would be best? Any thoughts or comments are appreciated! Namaste

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Good Morning and thank you! I am headed out today to see what I can get. I am thinking I want to get as much oak as possible. Would oak make a good cane or walking stick? I am assuming it would. I can post some pictures later. Love and light.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you so much for such wonderful information! I have harvested about 20 branches/sticks. There was elm, ash, oak, maple, and cottonwood. I got a few of each one. Maple has such nice straight sticks...and yeh, oak was all twisty but did find a couple straight ones and also took a couple nice twisty pieces which I have no idea what I will do with lol. I will let them all dry in an unheated shed till next spring. I do think I will debark them first though. Having worked with diamond willow, I know it is much easier to get the bark off of green wood. I saw a tip about leaving the bark on around the ends to prevent splitting and this does seem to work with willow. I have a very large piece of diamond willow from last spring and it has been drying in the shed. I had put large rubber bands on both ends to prevent splitting. Well, the ends didnt split but the middle split wide open...so much for that idea!

Can I post pictures of what I got today? I am not seeing where I can do that.

Anyway, thanks guys, for your input and replies! Namaste

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.