Walking Stick Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
I'm glad you are able to harvest these downed woods.

I have ridden the Black Hills on my Honda and Harley, in the summer, and have marveled at all the wood I've seen. I love riding through patches of evergreen trees (Pine, Fir, Juniper) the scent drives me crazy. I've also ridden through sections of hardwoods, mostly box elder, but that was where the buffalo were. Nothing like cruising past wild animals that big on a noisy machine!

I'm just glad you were able to harvest sticks from here. I just noticed that this is an old post.

About the same time, I had a great wind storm that took down a lot off trees here. Broke a lot of the old cottonwood, elm, pine, and fir trees. My apple tree got hit by one of my broken elm trees, and broke it, too. I carted that broken wood to my brush pile I keep for the small birds that need cover from the Hawks that prey on them. After looking through the properties of various woods i found on this site, I want to go back and tear through my brushpile to find good sticks to use. Elm. Apple, Hawthorne, Juniper are all in there. Rabbits and ground squirrels keep eating the bottom out of my pile, so i don't ever have to worry about it getting too big. I just hope they haven't gotten to the hawthorne, yet.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Cobalt,

Just having fun doing it, is my plan. Half the fun is tracking down these different woods that have been grown here. Most of the real native stuff are shrubs, under 12 feet tall, so I want to explore using these hardwood shrub woods, too.

In the introduced tree rows is where the bigger trees are, all imported to the state over the last 130 years by the Homesteaders and the State Agricultural Department. Close around the house/barnyard is where most if the fruit tree varietis will be found. Since the demise of the family farm in the 80's, there are quite a few abandoned farmyards, while the farmland is still used by big owner/corporate farms.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.