Walking Stick Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I like brass pipe fittings for ferrules, these are 3/4 x 3/4. the hose end is 5/8", perfect for "trimed" walmart 5/8" cane ends. When I shaved the stick ends down to fit the ferrules I was left with very light wood that didn't match the stick and didn't contrast with the lighter brass. So the "Cat tails" Sanpitch means Bullrush and Cat tails are the most identifiable of the Bullrushes.

Attachments

· Super Moderator
966 Posts
Cool idea. I have a couple of those kicking around which I was thinking of pairing with a steel spike for hiking sticks.

I've run into the problem of the color not matching and found that a set of furniture dent/scratch cover pens did the trick.

· Registered
1,843 Posts
Good idea on the tips. I make mine from brass tubing and rubber stoppers.

Cylinder Wood Circle Art Metal

The stopper is turned to fit 1/2" into the tube. Right now I make 3 sizes - 3/4, 7/8 and 1 inch. I used to use copper but like the looks of brass better.

The majority of my sticks have the bark on. I use brown aniline dye to blend the color at the transition if needed. A black sharpie works well on darker bark. If I'm working with peeled wood I leave the transition alone.

Attachments

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.