Walking Stick Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
3,170 Posts
I`m pleased to say i dont get that problem .probaly limited to the wood shanks i use and season myself .

The use of different woods is larger over there than i have access to , also the approach towards stickmaking is quite different cracks and shanks that are out of true are more acceptable

My own view is very differnt from many here i would discard it

·
Registered
210 Posts
I used an epoxy enamel resin with color added to fix a crack as an experiment.I think it looked pretty good and a great way to add some color at the same time.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,838 Posts
Hi yaxley. I rarely fill deep crack in sticks. My experience has been that once they are large and deep it is a structural issue. If they have not dried really well they most likely will continue. I have patched small cracks by carving the crack a bit wider shaping a wedge to fit tight in the the hole or crack, I use Gorilla glue. It expands and has some flexibility. Some I know just put epoxy in the crack as a filler. But it will not flex with the movement of the wood.

·
Registered
210 Posts
I've used copper and turquoise to fill cracks.The epoxy enamel resin when used without color additives is Chrystal clear and the crack will still have the rustic cracked look.

·
Registered
2,086 Posts
I have never filled a crack that was deep enough to compromise the integrity of the stick. I have had small cracks appear in carvings of wood I have "harvested" from dead trees. These imperfections I filled with Elmer's carpenters glue which dries a light brown.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
These imperfections I filled with Elmer's carpenters glue which dries a light brown.
For regular wood working I have mixed saw dust with Elmer's wood glue to fill small holes and cracks. Never did it on sticks though. I can certainly understand not wanting any cracks or checking with wood carving, and guess that is also the same thing for burning.

·
Registered
2,838 Posts
There is always a chance of some checking or cracking on a stick. Using a well seasoned stick and a good finish will minimize the chances.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Every single piece of Oak I had split something terrible. Mostly they end up in compost, as firewood or Sandra takes them over,

·
Registered
419 Posts
Epoxy resin is what I use. Cracks, by nature, do decrease wood strength integrity. That said, some woods can have many cracks and still suffice as walking sticks and canes.

Example is a cane I have been fiddling with for a year or so. Maple, found in a lumber site pushed into the dirt. It had already cracked severly. I stress tested it on my 245 frame, tried to bend it over my knee, smacked it across a couple of oaks. Verticle strength is superb and would crack a skull or femur just fine without breaking.

The guy I am planning on giving it to is much smaller than my demur size :) and he doesn't really need to use it, but I will alert him to the possibilities of future deterioration (although I doubt it will).

Attachments

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I've made many rustic sticks with similar cracks, JJireh. They were well dried in the desert and probably a reason for the cracks. Regardless, they came out very nice and not aware of any further cracking. I've even made some canes that were used for support and walking...again OK. I think the cracks actually add to the character of the stick, but I haven't done any with carving.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Do you think that a shank thats damaged is worth this , wouldnt it be easyer just to get a decent shank?
Yes and yes. I have plenty of decent shanks too. But as yaxley says, there is definitly character...not beauty mind you, but definite character. we call it 'grit' :)

The root ball on this thing is amazing not only in comfort but appearance. It has a 'story' if you will. Grizzled Elder Native American Chief carved into a grizzled scarred maple with gnarly root ball handle.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts