Walking Stick Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Super Moderator
1,013 Posts
I had made the parts for these a few months ago but due to the cold weather hadn't finished them. Ash root on a moose maple shank with deer antler spacer, maple root on an ash shank and a buffalo horn spacer, and alder branch on a maple shank with antler spacer. I think, though, that I might have to redo the shank on the alder one. When I squeeze the shank in certain places, I can hear it crackle. I think the bark may have pulled away from the wood.

Also a nice maple handle I've been working on. It was originally sort of Z shaped from some sort of damage when it was young. Forgot to take a before pic, but it was about 3-4 inches in diameter with a couple of approximately 90 degree bends. I saw a cane shaped a bit like this somewhere and thought it would be a good way of using those bends.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
1,013 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, it turned out pretty slick. It's in the shop with a yellow birch shank curing right now. Should look great when it's done. Even without the finish on it, it has some great chatoyance. I really wish I had taken a photo of it before shaping , though.

I had planned on having that little bump as a diagonal feature down the handle shank, but it just wasn't looking right so I filed it off.

Attachments

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.