Walking Stick Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been told/advised this piece of wood is from a Sweet Gum tree and this is a first for me in my 30+ years woodworking. I had to let it cure for more than six months but now that it's dry getting the bark off is a major bit-by-bit, inch-by-inch task, accomplished by very sharp wood chisels and tons-o-hand sanding. It could be ready for the stain and finish coats in the next 3-4 days.

This is a gift, so I'd like for it to look nice when I present it later this month. It's very unique (aren't they all?) in that it already has it's own built-in handle. Because of it's length, I had to add a 3-4" extension, which can be cut-to-fit later . . . if needed.

Q: Have any of you worked with "Sweet Gum" and had success in staining and/or finishing?

I am not certain this would "take" stain - but regardless I'll prob apply the usual 3-4 coats high gloss brushed polyurethane, which is one of my trademarks, so to speak.

Thank you

-neb

Attachments

·
Registered
2,086 Posts
The Wood Data Base says sweetgum "turns, glues and finishes well" Judging by the picture on the Wood Data Base site, if it were me I would either just apply poly or perhaps boiled lindseed oil to darken a bit then poly. The wood doesn't look like any stain would be required.

·
Registered
578 Posts
Here in south Alabama we have a lot of sweetgum trees and I have made several sticks from it i like to use boiled linseed oil if the wood has some color to it if the is lite coloured i used polyurethane both work real well but I like linseed oil best and then apply Johnson's paste wax a few times and buff it each time.

Reactions: norson

·
Registered
604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
DONE! After tons-o-hand sanding, I took your advice and used my FAV finish - brushed on high gloss polyurethane, but dipped the handle x5 - and am quite pleased with the end result. Please note the difference between pic #1 and #2. I plan on giving this away next week - (family members visiting)

Attachments

·
Registered
578 Posts
Great looking job you will have one happy family giving away that one.

Reactions: norson

·
Registered
2,086 Posts
Lots of patience and elbow grease, equals a sweet looking sweet gum!! ;) Nice job!

·
Registered
1 Posts
DONE! After tons-o-hand sanding, I took your advice and used my FAV finish - brushed on high gloss polyurethane, but dipped the handle x5 - and am quite pleased with the end result. Please note the difference between pic #1 and #2. I plan on giving this away next week - (family members visiting)
Very nice! Thanks for the great information! I plan to make tinctures from the green sweet gum balls, crafts from the brown sweet gum balls, and canes from the saplings. Everything has a purpose, but these trees are so invasive! Might as well put them to good use!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts